Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Darlene's Quilt and Week Update

How was your 4th of July?  Ours was amazing!!!  We had such a good weekend spent with family and watching fireworks.  It was really nice to relax and just enjoy the beautiful weather.  Yesterday was rainy and stormy...but great weather for quilting.  :)

I finished Darlene's panel - all over feathers with a few accent borders that I went ahead and ditched so they would pop.




I used black Invisifil by Wonderfil on this which turned out really lovely - it's high contrast in some areas but Invisifil is such a delicate thread that even in the highest contrast areas it doesn't read thread.  It's great for texture or delicate soft quilting...also stitch in the ditch or anywhere you want your quilting or stitches to be hidden or less visible.  I have found that Invisifil doesn't like certain fabrics though - I had a heck of a time in the multi-color print border as well as the panel center with thread breakage...every three or four inches!!!  I loosened up the tension as much as I could while still maintaining good stitches...this was a rough one.  I will say in the future I don't think I will use Invisifil on any bonded/printed fabrics.  This quilt should have taken a day to two days tops to complete and I ended up working on it for a week.  Gah!  During my busy summer months too!!  ;)  I was able to get through it though and the end result is really lovely.  :)

In other news I'm still watching my calories and working out 5 days a week.  It's becoming a new routine.  I am 19 pounds down so far, 2 inches smaller in my waist, and I've dropped a pant size.  I won't show a full body side by side photo yet, but you can already see it in my face!  :)  Being that I've been so overweight all these years I avoid getting my photo taken, so I don't have a ton of pictures to share but here's a little side by side of me a few years ago at a wedding reception versus a photo I took (with my daughter who's not shown) a few days ago!  :)



I'm getting there!!!  :)  I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer.  I see the blogs are slowing down (like mine!) what with all the summer out door activities and holidays...we are about half way through our daughters summer break and while I adore them so very much, I cannot say I'm not looking forward to having some quiet time to work on quilts again!  :)

4 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! I've seen how you're making those delicious shakes on instagram. I'll have to try that too and see if it's something I can keep up with.

Lara B. said...

Way to go Valerie - you look great!
Keep u[p the good work!

Anonymous said...

You look great, girl! Congrats on your progress!! I use, and love, Invisifil. My experience has had to problems with breakage but I haven't used it with the fabric types you mentioned. It works so well when doing feathers or any motif that might get "thread heavy"....the results are always soft and drapey. Your stitching is happy and fun (as always!).
Glad that the storms didn't deal badly with your area!!! This has been quite the summer thus far!!!! Hugs..............

Michele said...

Thanks for the info on the thread. I'll keep that in mind for the future. And congrats on the weight loss progress so far. I hope you reach your goal.