Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bonnie Hunter's Workshop - Prepare for Major Gushing :)


I'm back from my day with Bonnie!  Well...I was back yesterday, but it's Father's Day (Happy Father's Day to my Dad and Husband!) so I was spending time with family today.  We had such a good time yesterday at our workshop with Bonnie Hunter and it was a much needed get away for me.  Bonnie was a wonderful lecturer and teacher, she gave us great tips to help us make our quilts quickly, accurately, and was just a pure joy to be around.  I finished a grand total of two blocks (counting the one I pre-made at home) during our eight hour sewing session!  I can't believe it went by so fast - it also reminds me just how much time we put into our quilts.  We are having so much fun doing it that we don't always realize how much time we commit to them!

Look at all the great blocks the ladies made...that was one of my favorite things.  Seeing all the different fabric choices that were made...we had some talented quilters amongst us!








Sally here and I made friends the night before at the lecture - don't our blocks almost match?  This was towards the end of the day (note the TWO blocks there lol*) and we were starting to get a little silly.  :)

This was my little sewing corner and my sewing buddies.  See me block and my stack of bricks?  I had brought my featherweight but it didn't like those power strip things...it had no juice!  Good thing I brought the second machine...though my Simplicity Quilter's Classic is just about on it's last leg...one day while sewing I decided to move it from one end of the room - without unplugging it first.  It didn't like that too much! 

You can't see her there but to the right of me was my good friend Robin hard at work on her project.

One of the ladies brought THE BEST yummy chocolate minty brownie cookie thingies and we ate EVERY bite!  Needless to say she had lots of requests for the recipe.

I'm usually a 3 or 4 or sometimes 5 cup a coffee a day kinda girl, but I'm pretty fussy about my coffee so I had one cup in the morning and relied on the power of Diet Dr. Pepper!  I ended up having two cups of coffee when I got home though.  LOL*


Here's Bonnie showing a technique on a machine she "borrowed".  Hehehe, she borrowed quite a few things but was kind enough to return them all.  (I think everyone got a little excited when she went to grab for their things...hey, Bonnie Hunter used my ruler!!!)


Here is Bonnie explaining her method for making those chevron parts of the star...


We had such a good time.  I purchased two of her books and am looking forward to her newest one coming out in July.  I took a million pictures and still could have taken more.  She was such a great speaker and teacher, it was great having her there.  If you ever get the opportunity to see her - TAKE IT!  No matter your skill level there is something to be learned and a lot of fun to be had, you will not regret it!  :)

OH - and before I run I had to show...lookee down there.  See that hexagon in the middle?  With the yellow stars?  LEAH should recognize that fabric...remember the Connecting Threads fabric we flipped out over a couple years ago and we both made Pineapple Blossom quilts from???  THAT is some of that fabric!!!!!  I found that exciting..  :)  Especially since the Pineapple Blossom quilt is a BONNIE quilt! 


Oh and this little patch was very interesting...see the kissy lips???  AHH!  She really DOES put everything in there!!!!!  I love it!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

soscrappy said...

What an exciting day! Looks like SO much fun.

Ruth said...

I would love to go to one of Bonnie's workshops! The block you were working on is one of my favorites and I'm thinking about making that quilt one of these days. Lucky you!