Wednesday, October 8, 2014

It's Fall in the Pumpkin Patch :)

   I am always finding myself busy these days - though my quilting hasn't produced a lot that I can share here as of late.  A few things I can share are my fall projects!  I have been craving fall decorations and crafts...creativity that is simply for the joy of it...not for a client, not for a gift, not for a magazine or even for a quilt show.  I've been making some things that are terribly simple and primitive...but boy do they make me happy!

 

   If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you may have seen some progress on this little witch hat.  I actually found instructions on Pinterest for a very large version of this hat.  The large hat is adorable but my tiny house calls for tiny decorations.  So I thought I'd miniaturize it.  It's really just a cone shape sewn to a brim that I measured using the rim of a tea cup.  I didn't want to purchase any new supplies for this (although I did break down and buy the flowers at the $1 store) - so I used black scrap fabric from my scrap bin.  I stiffened the hat with watered down mod podge, and the berries and leaves were laying around in my craft cupboard.


The day before making the hat I had decided I might like to try decorating with dehydrated orange and apple slices...they are things we pretty much always have in the refrigerator and I thought they might make a pretty earthy natural decoration.  I sliced them both very thin and seasoned with pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.  It thought it might take 8 hours to dehydrate but as I cut the slices on the hick side it took about 12 hours at 175-200!  I might do this again for Christmas but maybe try slicing thinner to see if I can't cut down the cooking time.  Otherwise I adore the look and pretty smell!


Oh and I also stitched and stuffed these little candy corn.  I might go back and make some other cute little things - candy canes, snow men...maybe some mittens?  I stiffened these also with a little watered down mod podge.


The finished product was this little display I set on the kitchen table on a vintage cake stand.  I love it!  So cute and prim and the best part is that it hardly cost me anything...


Another goody I've been enjoying is this book I borrowed from my Mother - The Amish Cook at Home.  I live in the heart of Amish country - NE Ohio not far from the PA line - so the Amish are nothing new or novel in our area...but they are very private so of course their life is still fascinating to me!  I admit one of my guilty pleasures is TLC's reality show Breaking Amish!!!  I know, I know, it's not the most quality television...but I cannot help but watch!  I feel a little sad for the young adults who sign up to be a part of the show - the more I learn about the strict Amish culture and beliefs I understand what a difficult life that must be for them in so many ways...but I wonder if being so naive to "English" life, if putting them in unfamiliar surroundings and on camera is really a moral thing.  Being on camera or having their picture taken from what I understand is very much against the rules...I just cannot imagine.  Strict as they are there are still many ideals the Amish value and live by that I do truly admire and appreciate.

  If you grew up in this area you've likely gone by or even shopped at an Amish bake stand.  My Father used to set up at a flea market in Middlefield, Ohio years ago when I was a little girl.  I remember my parents always excited to walk over to the Amish girls table and stocking up on whoopie pies.  My Mother still raves about them today!  LOL  Something I love about Amish or Amish inspired recipes is their simplicity...and this book is really a great example of that.  I am so excited to try out the pie crust and pumpkin cookie recipes inside!

...and it wouldn't be a Pumpkin Patch Quilter post if I didn't share my pumpkin quilt!  This is as far as I have come along on my little pumpkin snowball quilt.  My little blocks aren't yet resembling pumpkins, but they will!  LOL!  I still haven't decided if I'll fill the center with pieced blocks or just simple nine patches.  Just something simple with fall colors to decorate...


A little close up of a few of the blocks that are beginning to look like pumpkins.  With any luck I might get this finished before Halloween!


What projects have you been working on for fall?

3 comments:

Cindy Elliott said...

Love your adorable cake stand decorations and pumpkin quilt! What a great idea!

I admire and enjoy the Amish culture too. I often visit Ohio Amish Country when I get the chance. I haven't visited your area yet, but it sounds like another fun place to explore. That cookbook looks like a winner too. I'll have to check it out.

Glad you had a chance to do something fun for yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

We live in Amish country, too, and their bake goods command attention at sales here, also.....yum! I have watched that program and, although permission has been obtained, agree with you that the word "exploitation" is applicable. Very sad to watch (as is most TV these days!!!!). You certainly have been busily decorating for Fall. I'm still in denial!!! 38F this morning is helping to jolt me into reality, however. Have an awesome day and your stitchings are continuing to raise the bar!!!! Hugs.................

Michele said...

I haven't been working on any fall projects but I did manage to get all the Halloween decorations out and in their place over the weekend.