Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A tip I discovered while trying to fix something else...


Of course, I haven't solved my original problem...but when I went looking to fix an issue with skipped stitches while free motioning I happened to find this little trick.  NEAT!  An issue I had been having with monofilament and poly threads is that they are so fine that they tangle and break before I even get to the sewing part!  After several broken needles and a few swear words I ended up employing this really neat set up.  A safety pin duct taped to the back of my sewing machine and my thread placed in a jar.  It works!  I still am having skipped stitches so I think my next move is onto another brand of thread.  BUT, no more tangles.  :)  Just thought I'd share.

5 comments:

paulette said...

Well aren't you clever!! Brilliant!
P

Kristi said...

great tip!
I have the skip stitches while free motion stitching problem also and haven't figured out how to fix it. Would love to hear what you did if you do find out how.

HOPE said...

Fancy Smanshy duct tape! Nice touch..and CLEVER!

We all come up with some quirky solution when in desperation!

I won a gift cert. from our local Quilt Shop for entering my idea for my binding...

I used my kitchen chair with the high back spindle tops and wrapped my rolled binding around one, with it behind me it was PERFECTO for not getting in the way, was over my shoulder and the perfect tempo as it unwound perfectly smooth as I stitched along!

Oh and hey..don't swear at your machine..it'll get mad at you!! You must love it...they do someimes have a mind of their own..grr..my old one did. Yea..got rid of it..and my new one purrs all the time!
Quilters are Amazing!
HOPE

TiramiSue said...

You need to invest in a thread stand. Fancy thread in a jar isn't going to do it! I use a thread stand and the safety pin device, especially working with metallics, monofilament and even when machine embroidering or quilting with rayons and polyester. Sometimes a shot of silicon spray is just the ticket and sometimes you have to move the thread as far away as possible from the machine. A different needle may also help. As you are a sewing dynamo, you may already know all this, but for anyone new to this art, it may help. Have a great day. Sue

Myra said...

Good for you Valerie!!!
Just last weekend at our retreat one of my friends did exactly this, but because she broke off or lost the spool holder of her machine... It works!!! 8-)