Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Old Sewing Machines

Alrighty well ever since I brought the 301a home I'm on an old sewing machine kick!  A friend who recognized my obsession sent another oldie to my house even!  LOL*  I'm a lucky girl.  I just thought I'd post a few pictures of what I have in my little collection right now.  I didn't really set out to collect these things, I originally only wanted a treadle to sew on, and a featherweight.  The others just sort of fell into my posession...and now, I'm HOOKED!  :)  So here it is...


Singer Model 15 - this one I just discovered the model of thanks to some help from the "Vintage Sewing Machine Shop" on the Quilting Board.  I always thought it was really neat, and I guess it's special and I didn't know it because it has an "oscillating bobbin" instead of a vibrating shuttle.  Lookee...

...there...see the bobbin?  I guess this was one of the first machines to use these bobbins and these in particular don't often come with the Sphinx decals...or so I'm told.  Ok I'll be honest I still don't know enough about these machines to really know how significant that is, but now I'm hooked and have to learn as much about it as I can!


If you've been here lately you've seen my "new to me" Singer 301a.  I am PSYCHED to try free motioning on this.  :)


Singer Model 15-91, or at least that's what I think it is.  :)  I have been told that this is a good one for free motioning on too...


...and of course I have a featherweight!!!



Sears and Roebuck model "Howard".





I adore the pretty ornate cabinet...
A little toy machine the Hubby gave me for my birthday....


...and you've seen this cutie my parents recently gave me...


...and here it is!!!  My monster machine came home today!!!!!  It's a Kenmore model 58...ugly as heck but really neat!  It has a knee bar which I am fascinated with.  Lol*


...a little yucky, needs some cleaning...


...and it came with one of my favorite surprises...attachments that haven't been touched in a VERY VERY long time!!!


4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Just awesome! Where do you display/keep them? I have my grandmother's old singer folded down in its table in our living room and I've been thinking of trying it out. I also have a treadle table without the machine that was given to me... in the other corner of my living room. Hmmm... too bad I'm all out of corners!

Sewing Junkie said...

You have some oldies but goodies there. The Sears machine was sometimes made by Singer. They just put a different name on it and the cover of it. Oil them up and dust them off and use them. They will work like horses for you. Chris

UKMUMINUSA said...

Love all the machines you have, I have 3 old singers now, I just love collecting them and one day I am going to get around to sewing on them!

MQuilter said...

Nice machines! You can also quilt with that Singer 15 in treadle. Just like an e-machine, practice is needed with the treadle for FMQ to look pretty. Enjoy them all!