Sunday, July 26, 2009

Taking Control of our Health

Well, a lot has been going on here, as always. Lol* Last Monday my Husband had a tooth pulled...he had cracked it the previous Friday on a popcorn kernel, and it became infected over the weekend. After two visits to the Dentist and still bleeding after nearly a week, Friday we ended up in the ER. Turns out Hubby has high blood pressure, and it was preventing him from healing as he should. This sent me into a bit of a panic, as my Husband is only 30, and both of us have strong family history of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer. So I've made a commitment, to re-learn to cook, and to take control of our health, before it's too late. I've talked about this before, but this time it's different. My children are young, and I believe we still have time to prevent major damage in the future, while setting an example for the girls. So yesterday I threw out half of the contents the fridge, and bagged up what could be donated from the cupboard.

I restocked with fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats from our local farm market. My parents shared some easy recipes that will be better for our health, and I think we are on our way. For breakfast we had a slice of toast and fruit. Lunch was salads, with lots of vegetables, and half a baked potato. For dinner, pork roast, with red potatoes, carrots, and green beans. A big change from the sodium packed high fat boxed foods we were eating before. But I think we can do this, and I think it will even be fun. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a wonderful garden packed with good foods too!

Della said...

Congrats on throwing out all that high sodium "junk". When I am at the grocery store I see people with buggies full of this stuff and wonder if they eat anything else. We eat very similar to what you discribed. It takes getting used to but so worth it.

Kayla said...

Good for you! I'm sorry about your husband, but sometimes it takes a very serious wake-up call to make us seriously change our ways. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease 3 1/2 years ago, we had to do a kitchen overhaul too. You just can't go wrong when you are cooking with whole foods. We cook 98% of our meals at home. Not only do we eat better, we spend a lot of family time in the kitchen and around the table. Good luck!

Chloe m said...

Hi,
I appreciated this post. I hope that everything is going better for your husbands tooth and HBP.
I am with you on the eating right thing. I get fewer migraines when I cut out lots of sugar and processed foods.
I applaud your efforts, you will be rewarded. The most difficult part for me, is the celebrating of holidays and birthdays. I always want to indulge and then I keep on indulging after it's over!
Rosey

Teresa said...

I think its great - just wsh you could come and cook for my husband and me!

Stephanie D said...

Toast and fruit are still just carbs--with no protein. You need protein to keep from experiencing the highs and lows of carbs, even complex carbs like whole grain breads. Fruit, though healthier than some things, are still simple carbs and will give you the blood sugar highs and rebound lows. Same with salads--veggies are carbs, though they are more complex.

Think of adding string cheese, sugar-free peanut butter on toast, soy or tofu (if your family will eat it), beans and legumes for proteins, if you're cutting back on meats. These will help keep blood sugars at an even keel, thereby keeping energy levels up--even if diabetes is not a problem.

Congratulations on getting rid of processed foods! This is a hard step to make.