Friday, December 26, 2008

A little shameless bragging...

If I haven't mentioned it lately, I need to share, that I have the most wonderful Husband ever! Not only did he give me a new digital camera for Christmas, but he also gave me this...

Isn't it just beautiful? I have been drooling over featherweights since I first learned of them several years ago. Husband and I have been looking at yard and estate sales for as good of a bargain as we could find on a featherweight or the next object of my affection - a treadle. A few treadles have come and gone before us, either more than we had to spend, or more work than we could undertake, but these featherweights seem to be even harder to come by. When the weather is warm we go to sales nearly every Friday and Saturday, and I may have seen one in 5 years. He paid a little more than the bargain we'd hoped to find, but I'm so glad that he did. It came from our local sewing center, which makes me feel confident that it has been given a once over inside and out, and it is guaranteed to be in good working order. It's clean and shiny, and I was so excited to find that the decals show little to no wear at all. The owner, who I adore and is just the epitomy of a charming small town shop owner, shared with my Husband that years ago he sold these when the store was located on Main Avenue, for $100. He said they couldn't keep them on the shelves way back then, and it's becoming that way again today. Seems that some good things do last! I can't wait to get sewing on my beautiful little piece of history. :)

6 comments:

Karen said...

Very nice gifts! I used to have two of the fetherweights but ended up selling both. I paid about $200 for each one. I wish I had kept one just for display. They are so cute. I never much enjoyed sewing on them but many people do. I used to have several treadle machines but sold or gave away all of them. Had to when we downsized our home. I still have a few small antique machines. I am sure you are going to enjoy your featherweight and new camera.

Anonymous said...

I am another FW owner too. I think they are the cutest machines. I do some sewing on mine, some on my modern Bernina, just depends on my mood of the day or the project I'm working on.
When I'm not sewing, I enjoy seeing the FW setting on the desk, so cute. Enjoy your new machine!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love my Featherweight! I take it to classes unless it's something really involved and I take in my camper. Perfect for that. :) You'll enjoy it so much. blessings, marlene

Juryizstillout said...

Now I'm jealous! What a thoughtful hubby! It is simply beautiful!

Angela said...

Oh you lucky ducky!

Kayla said...

My hubby is very supportive of my quilting addiction too. Isn't it great! Will you use your featherweight or just display it?

My parents have a treadle from one of my great grandmothers, I believe. I know they want to get rid of it, and I can't wait until I have the room to take it off their hands. I would love to get it in working order and USE it! My mom makes fun of me and my nostalgic/romantic ideas.