Saturday, November 16, 2013

Heirloom Stockings

Eeep!  I broke down and decided to play this evening.  I have been wanting to make these fancy quilted heirloom style stockings for my daughters for a while.  My favorite way to quilt is just goofing around...winging it and playing as I go along.  So that's what I did.




I really like how they are coming out!  Of course after I posted pictures on Facebook I discovered I missed a spot.  Whoops!  LOL

This is two layers of batting - something I'm really really liking.  I love poofyness.  I bought a roll earlier in the year of Quilters Dream Poly Request...it is their lowest loft polyester batting.  I bought it because it is inexpensive but gives the look of cotton.  I have since learned that if I want the look of cotton...I'll just use cotton...however...polyester has some great benefits!  This batting doesn't wrinkle like cotton when folded...and layered up...it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!  Two layers of poly request is seriously my new favorite batting!!!  :)


I pulled all these bits of lace and tatting - is it tatting??  Anyhow I pulled it out with a few linens and had originally planned to put them on the stockings...but now that I've finished quilting one...I like it so much I don't know if I want to cover it up with lace!!  LOL  So we'll see if I can figure out a way to incorporate these or not.  I am kind of thinking maybe the fancy quilting side will be the front...and I'll do a pretty floral quilted backing with bits of lace incorporated.  I definitely want beads...these are completely Cindy Needham inspired stockings!!!  :)

What are you up to?

8 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Beautiful! I'd say that you've achieved what you wanted to do earlier in the year when you said that you wanted to be able to longarm FMQ like you've done with the DMS. How about using one of the smaller lace pieces for a loose cuff at the top? That way you get a little taste of what the back side will have.

JoAnne said...

They are so gorgeous! I love Tami's idea of using some lace for the cuff. What a fun project.

Michele said...

Very cool!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Gorgeous quilting!!!

Dora, the Quilter said...

Those will be gorgeous stockings! I made some from overdyed toile several years ago but didn't quilt them--although I did make cuffs with vintage linens.
The lovely vintage lace in your photo is not tatting--it is fillet crochet (with some regular crocheted edging added). Very lovely--I especially like the tulip heart.

Laura said...

Love, love these! You need to make more to sell.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your work is amazing and this will definitely be a heirloom stocking! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Sue Daurio said...

That is some amazing quilting!! Wow!!