Thursday, August 1, 2013

Journal Quilt Finished!


Yay!  I finished my journal quilt!  This was so huge for me - HUGE!  The entire process has truly been so moving.  I feel as if just putting it all down in writing has helped me to really put focus on some things in my life.  I loved making this. 


Here is a little closeup of the quilting detail.  If you know me and have followed me for any significant amount of time you might know that I like heavy, dense quilting...this is definitely out of the norm for me!  This one isn't about the quilting though.  It was about the experience.


I was inspired by Susan Shie's diary quilts - but I did create this a bit differently.  She uses an air pen for the writing and it's no coincidence...it took me forever with my Pigma Pen!  She also pulls her backing fabric around to the front and tucks it UNDER the top - so the raw edge of the top is exposed.  I decided I didn't want to leave my quilt top exposed, so while I did pull my backing around to the front, I folded it under twice and sort of created a mock mitered corner, covering my raw edge.


I did a bit of free hand stitching to keep the binding down but other than that the quilting for the most part is what tacks the edge down.


I am so happy with the end result!  :)  I'm still not sure if I'm going to airbrush Buddha quilt or not.  I decided I liked the airbrushing experience enough that I'm converting one of my sheds into a airbrush/fabric dyeing studio.  How's that for head over heels?  LOL*  It will be nice to have a place to work on large pieces where I can be messy and not worry about getting paint on my other quilts and projects.  Or ya know, the kids.  Though they'd probably love to be covered in paint.  :)


On a slightly unrelated note I did want to share, I recently met up with a talented local fiber artist named Sandy Schelenberger.  She and I happen to have a few mutual pals and the moons seemed to align in just a way so that our paths would cross!  :)  She is a truly multifaceted artist who utilizes  a number of interesting techniques to create her art quilts - dyes, thermofax, and screen printing to name a few.  She is hosting a Women's Art Retreat  in Austinburg, Ohio where she'll be focusing on another of her artistic passions - encaustic wax painting.  This is a really neat process where you basically melt and paint with wax on paper and boards using different tools and techniques - even fire!  Learn more about the Women's Art Retreat by clicking here.  I think this is such an awesome event!  :)

Hope you area all getting some sewing done out there in blogland!  My children have JUST finally fallen asleep, wheew, so I am off to quilt a few quilts that were sent my way this week!  :)

**I'm linking up again this week with Nina-Marie for her Off the Wall Friday!  Check out the other participants if you can - amazing things are being created!  :)



8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

An awesome project.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh! I love it!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Glorious! The piece shimmers.

Shannon said...

This is beautiful! I love the writing. I was contemplating a texty typography yesterday and wondering what I would say- your piece has made me think that maybe a journaling approach would be a good one to try. Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia said...

I love the colors! I think it is great that you were able to work outside your normal, safe space and create this wonderful piece!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Congratulations on the finish of a very lovely piece. The journaling is so compelling and adds such depth.
best, nadia

Michele said...

I'm awestruck. This is just gorgeous.

Karen S Musgrave said...

Drop dead wonderful! Bravo!