Sunday, July 28, 2013

S is for Synchronicity

Synchronicity - "is the experience of two or more events as meaningfully related, whereas they are unlikely to be causally related."  (Click to read more about Synchronicity via Wikipedia.)

Odd but wonderful things have been connecting the moments of my life lately.  Too many to go into great detail of here, but I tell you, when you are on the RIGHT path, the Universe sure lets you know it.  Recently I had a monumental (to me) revelation in my life and my artwork.  I let go and decided rather than to direct the path of my creativity, I would let my creativity direct me.  Since making that conscious decision, my eyes have been open and my heart has been open to so many wonderful new ideas, thoughts, and people!

Creatively speaking - here is the reflection of where I'm at.  I know I'm losing some of you with my less than traditional work, and gaining a few of you with it as well!  This may not be where I stand forever in my work but it's where I'm at right now.  It's what I'm compelled to make and I'm going to let it take me wherever it shall take me!  :)


Buddha painting has to become a quilt, don't you think?  LOL  Well I do!  Above is the beginning layout of my Buddha quilt.  It is super meaningful to me - and I'm over the moon at the thought of merging this idea onto fabric.


More painting is happening and I'm itching to blend painting with fabric.  I want to continue with airbrushing because it is so fun but I don't know if I have the room to do it.  I may be forced for now to work with fabric paints and a brush.




One of the nice things about painting is it is something I can do at the kitchen table...and my kids can sit at the table and do it with me.  When I pull out the acrylics and play my daughters usually go grab some computer paper and water color paints and become very inspired to paint themselves!  I love that we can share this together.  I think of growing up and standing by my own father while he painted or worked in his workshop.


Good things have been happening and lots of inspirational things too.  Today is a much needed family day after a week that seemed like it went on FOREVER!  :)

Oh and before I run off I did want to share - I'm sure you've heard me go on and on about my nerdy quilting fan admiration for Karen McTavish.  She is a bit of a quilting world rock star and I'm a shameless groupie!  LOL  I just really love that she's rebellious but still a master at whole cloth quilting which is a very traditional art - and that despite all the quilt world fame and recognition she remains very down to earth and accessible to people.  That is probably what I admire about her most of all.  

In any case it's wonderful to know that the Husband really listens.  My Husband asked me a while back, if I could meet or have a class with ONE quilting artist, who would it be?  Well I have so many favorites - oh my gawsh - how could I choose???  Well this was before I discovered Susan Shie - who would make my top picks a trio rather than a pair - but I had in the past always said either Karen McTavish or Sharon Schamber.  Well who knew he was actually paying attention to the answer???  I just sort of thought he was indulging me with quilty chat but really watching the baseball game!!!  LOL*  
The day before yesterday this arrived for me in the mail...  


...he had asked her if she might be able to send an autographed picture to me.  I am not one to really collected autographs but it's a huge past time for my Husband as he's a big sports enthusiast.  So the fact that he would go out of his way to contact her and ask for such a gift - and that Karen responded so kindly - now how sweet is that???  I feel blessed and loved.  :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet sweet thing to have DH initiate this! Karen McTavish is so creative and very much her own person! Her technique has influenced so many (including me!). Hugs......

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How special!

Michele said...

Wow! That is fantastic. I love that he was listening to you. As for where your creativity is taking you at the moment, you have to listen to your heart. If you don't enjoy what you are doing, then it isn't worth doing. You have to create for yourself first.

Deb A said...

Talent does run in your family - love the picture your daughter painted! So neat that you can do that together. They will remember that always. A very sweet hubby you have to do that for you. I was lucky and got to take a class on machine quilting with Sharon Schamber when Emmy was a baby. It was a very fun day.... I really need to rewatch her CD and try some feathers. Always follow your heart as to what you are working on..... if you don't enjoy something, move on. Life is too short to be doing something you don't enjoy.
Hugs and have a great family day.

Queenie Believe said...

What a sweetie-pie your husband is! He's definitely a keeper :o)
The muse can be fickle and it is always good to be attentive and open one's heart when prompted, good for you in honoring your painting. And, a wonderful way to get the kids to experience the fun of creating.
Thank you so for your lovely comments on my blog. Your encouragement is awesome for this new-be longarmer.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie