Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Journal Quilt Tutorial Part 2

   I went back and forth over and over again as to whether I wanted to add texture with quilting or add writing.  After all - this is supposed to be a journal quilt.  I decided because Susan Shie is my inspiration for this quilt I would continue on with the writing.  She calls these "diary quilts".  I am so glad that I filled in the words because this little piece is SO much more meaningful - moving - and healing.


I decided to fill in the petals - though I may leave some empty for stitching and embellishing.  Though the idea here is to journal on my quilt - a huge part of me is the quilting, so I feel like I need to make a place for that here.


I have a lot left to go - today was cleaning and catch up day.  I have another charity quilt to share after I gain permission from the owner to post pictures.  I am still looking for quilts to quilt so if you have been thinking about sending something - NOW is the time!  :)


Here is a full on view of how much I've written in.  You may have to click on the photograph to get a real idea of what's happening here.  It doesn't look like much but this is the time consuming part.  Susan uses an air pen among other methods to fill in her writing.  I don't have a lot of options so I decided to use my favorite Micron Pigma pens.


The drawback to these pens is I write once, then I have to go back over the writing to darken it.  The upside - it's in my true handwriting and that makes it more personal.


I am a fan of the .45mm tip - though these come in all sorts of sizes.  Heat set them with an iron and they become permanent.

I have so much to do today but I cannot get this project off of my mind and I am determined to get this finished!!  My goal will be to complete the writing today and begin quilting it tomorrow.

***I'm linking up with Nina-Marie for her Off The Wall Friday - visit her by Clicking HERE!  :)

6 comments:

Deb A said...

Wow! That is a true piece of art! I love how the writing personalizes the quilt to be truly yours and all about your quilting journey. Sweet little flower in one of the petals.

Karen S Musgrave said...

Awesome! I love combining writing with drawing.

Quilt Rat said...

Fabulous!!!! I often use those pens to doodle on fabric....I am gonna HAVE to try text....this is quite lovely....

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Valerie and wow! Wonderful quilt with the writing on it. I just LUV the effect.
best, nadia

Linda A. Miller said...

Amazing detail with your writing! Wonderful!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

It's beautiful and interesting!