Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Wow, can you believe it's October already? I sure can't! Fall is flying by. Believe it or not I'm already planning my spring schedule for school. Tomorrow I meet with my adviser.

Today we got to explore the nursing labs a little bit. We were introduced to METI Man, a nursing patient simulator. He's kind of like a robot. LOL* Or a mannequin with robot qualities. He breathes, which is really creepy at first, and he also blinks. He bleeds, urinates, can be injected or used to practice administering medications through IV's. His pupils dilate, his tongue swells, you can feel a pulse in his feet, neck, and wrist - he's even anatomically correct so you can practice inserting catheters on his male OR female interchangeable parts. It's really pretty amazing! I'm so glad we're able to have this incredible technology to practice on. My biggest fear, and I'm sure it's likely the fear of many other nurses or nurses to be, is hurting a patient. If I'm gonna screw up, I want to do it on METI Man and not a REAL man!

Still working towards my goal of all A's, or at least as close to them as I can get, and guess what? I got an A on my psychology test! Out of 67 students in our class, five of us received A's. So I'm pretty proud of that. Now I'm off to bed...had a long evening spent with my Hubby and gorgeous girlie girls, and after a good nights rest I need to get back to studying. ;)

9 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Awesome on the test!

Now about that METI man--dang, we didn't have those back in the dark ages when I went to nursing school. Just the real thing. Poor patients.

Though, when we lived in the dorm, the skeleton would disappear now and then, only to hang out of someone's window or sit in the lobby. Nope, it wasn't me. I wasn't a "good" girl, but I was afraid of the housemothers.

Pat said...

GREAT news about the score on your psych test!!! It's wonderful that there are simulators as teaching devices. I'd feel much better learning on that, too. Keep up the good work!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

METI-Man. Wow, sounds amazing that you get to work on him. Congrats on the A's. Here's to more like it.

julieQ said...

You are pretty amazing girl...great job! I giggled at your mani-person to practice on, they are much more technical these days!! I am proud of you!!

Kimberly said...

I think of you often... and I think you're inspiring! Keep up the great work!
Hugs, Kimberly

Zannah said...

Well done on your A grade!!! See - you CAN do it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Valerie, congratulations you are doing so well...lot of hard work for you....but worth it in the long run...take care hugs lyn

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your A , I would have been thrilled too !

Holly said...

Sounds like you are very busy. Congrats on your great grades. Hard work pays off. You will be a great nurse. Just remember you can't take your patients home with ya. They aren't kitties or puppies. LOL.