Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday September 27th, 2009

I want to thank you all for your support, and encouraging words. I haven't had the time to reply to all of your comments, but each one means so very much to me. It's a good feeling knowing that there are kind strangers in the world, that we can connect through our love of creativity, and support each other. Kind of amazing, isn't it?

I won't find out about my psychology test until next week, but I'm happy to say that I received a B on my biology test Saturday. I worked very hard for it. Tell me though, why is it that I cannot be completely satisfied with a B? It's a good grade. Not a B+, not a B-, but a good ol' run of the mill, solid, B. I would have been devastated had I gotten a C. I'm so glad I didn't get one of those. I'm not sure if I can do it, but I'm kind of shooting for all A's in my classes. I have never done that before. I'd like to think I was capable of getting all A's in high school, even just once, if I had tried to. Like a lot of other students, I was more interested in socializing than I was in learning. I regret that now. They say hindsight is 20/20, and boy is that ever true for me.

So I'm setting this goal for myself...

...just once, I want to get all A's in my classes. Some of my classes are really HARD, but I think it's possible. Just one semester. I'm not like some of the truly brilliant people I went to high school with, who are now doing amazing things all over the world. Good grades don't come easy to me, but I'd like to believe that old fashioned idea that hard work can get you somewhere. So I'll try. Please keep sending those good vibes my way. They might just make all the difference!

8 comments:

cockermom said...

Valerie, I went to nursing school about 15 years ago. My first 2 semesters were A's B's and one C (calculus of course). I had a talk with myself much like you just did and my remaining semesters were 4.0. I think you have to challenge yourself as you just did. I also made a friend in my classes and we began a friendly competition for grades! It became a lot of fun for us. We would reward each other at the end of each semester when grades came out with a little silly something.
Anyway, my point to you is that of course you can do it! I am no rocket scientist myself, just turn it into a fun thing to do. Best of luck to you dear!
Donnie

Sherrill said...

When I was in nursing school, pretty much everyone's favorite instructor had this little saying..he'd always tell us "C equals RN"!! Even if you got a C on your boards, you still got your degree. Don't stress too much especially with your family!

Stephanie D said...

Rah, rah, rah, sis boom bah! Let's hear it for the nursing student mom!!!!!

Hey, don't look at me as an example. I went to nursing school straight out of high school, the underachiever who ranked 5th highest in my class on the ACTs and flabbergasted everyone. I wasn't mature enough for nursing school and barely squeaked by. Things would be very different now, if I had it to do over again.

On the other hand, nursing has been a good fit for me and I've just completed my 38th year of it. You need to graduate and replace me so I can retire.

How do you feel about North Carolina?

hehehe

Stephanie D said...

And dang it, I LOVE your new background!! I am so jealous that you found it first! lol

Zannah said...

Valerie - you have SO got the right attitude!!! I always tell my students to aim as high as possible (because even if you miss the grade you want, you'll still be higher than you ever thought you would be).

Right - better get my stuff ready for my first Spanish class tomorrow evening - I've already had to find out how to say "sorry, but I've forgotten to buy the textbook'....

Ann-Christin said...

I don't now your system about "marks" but I hope you will get your A so you can féel satisfied. To be a good nurse you need a lot of things, you will not be able to assess in a special way. You must be only you, everything is about you to be a fantastic caring nurse. I have been a midwife and psychiatric nurse in 37 years now and know to respect the human dignity are the most important. Go on with your good work!
Ann-Christin in Sweden

Anonymous said...

My dad used to say, "Why do you want to get straight A's anyway? You know those people are half crazy!" Somehow that made getting B's more normal to me.....

warm wishes,
Karen Eileen

Unknown said...


Having read this I believed it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it! capitalone.com