Monday, April 13, 2009

Getting the G back on HGTV

I frequent the Garden Web gardening forums, and came accross this web blog through one of it's passionate members. I am saddened to learn that Paul James show Gardening by the Yard will no longer be in their lineup, and hope this group can accomplish what they have set out to! I would love to see more gardening shows back on HGTV, or really, ANYWHERE on TV. I can't imagine there is no profit in gardening when countless chain stores have devoted so much to cater to us home gardeners.

I hope that HGTV, their advertisers, and others will hear the voice of the consumer and recognize there is an opportunity in gardening programming. I would love to see more shows like the Victory Garden, the way it USED to be. I'd love to see gardens of people like me, see what they grow and learn what worked for them. It always seemed the few garden shows that are, or were on tv were about gardens that I would never visit, or would never attempt to create in my own yard. Not that those gardens aren't interesting once in a while, but I'm interested in making MY garden look amazing NOW! Lol* So I hope that maybe sometime in the near future we might see a down to earth practical gardening show on tv.

Just thought I'd share. :)

3 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

I agree with you completely. I was so excited when we finally got HGTV on our Dish subscription only to quickly learn that it was full of shows how house decorating and how to sell or buy a house. Nothing on gardening.What a huge disappointment. The only show in my area is Victory Garden on PBS and it focuses too much on Eastern gardens to be useful for me here in the west.

Lilly said...

Good luck on finding a show about "real gardening". I can't garden anymore, and I really miss it. My son wants to try gardening with straw bales. He has been reseaching it online, and has seen some ideas he would like to try. Sounds interesting. Have a good day in the garden.....

Teresa said...

I seldom watch HGTV any longer. Seems like it is just one home decorating show after another. I miss Simply Quilts!