Friday, April 10, 2015

"Our" MQX Blue Ribbon Winner!

I spent most of yesterday floating on cloud nine...I have a ton of work today so it's back to reality.  But I DO have some wonderful and exciting news to share...
Remember this quilt I worked on last fall that ribboned at the 2015 Tuscon Quilt Fiesta guild show?  Well it won FIRST place in the Quilts Among Friends category at MQX East!!!

"Better Than Prozac" by Barbara Moran (quilted by me!)

Woohoo way to go Barbara!  That's a mighty fine BLUE ribbon!

I am OVER THE MOON to say the least.  The very best part for this long arm quilter?  MQX is one of the few shows that also awards a ribbon to the quilter as well as the piecer!  I only saw one hanging on the quilt at the show and often times you'll see both hanging right on the quilt...so I double checked with Janet-Lee and she confirmed that I indeed will get a ribbon.  I can't tell you what a big deal that is to me!  It is just so rare to get any recognition as the quilter at all outside of a mention in passing on the description card...and I passionately believe it should be the standard at all shows.  I do a lot of quilting on quilts intended for show, and knowing just how HARD you work as the quilter to likely never see it again...that ribbon is a really stinking big deal to me!

I just finished up an intense custom that if I can I will try and share a few sneaks of.  It's kind of a hush hush quilt so I cannot share full photos.  I'm also finishing up a baby quilt today and have two more really amazing quilts lined up that I'm anxious to share.

WHEEW!  What a busy week!  I'm thrilled to share this exciting news and hope all of you out in blog land are doing well!  It's starting to feel like SPRING!  :)

12 comments:

Deb A said...

A big congrats on the win. Your quilting makes some beautiful quilts into amazing works of art. I agree - there should be a ribbon for both the quilt maker and the quilter. Enjoy and hope you can find a special place to highlight that ribbon.

Lara B. said...

Valerie your quilting on this quilt was stunning and i am not at all surprised that you and Barbara won blue ribbons. Both of you did amazing work!
i agree totally that quilts with two creators (piecer and quilter) should always be recognized with two ribbons!
Hope you are doing great kiddo!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Congratulations Valerie! Your quilting is beautiful. I think there need to be new rules about quilts in quilt shows. There are long arm quilters who actually guide the long arm and really do the quilting themselves and then there are those with the computers attached and while they have a long arm machine, most of it is figuring out the computer techy stuff and press a button and the computer and quilting machine work together while they just come back to adjust the next place to quilt after the machine stops. I don't even know if judges in quilt shows can tell the difference between the various long arms quilters. I agree as a quilter of someone elses quilt you need as much or even more recognition because the quilting does make or break a quilt in my opinion. But it's not fair to compare a long arm quilter who guides every stitch to one who presses a computer button to quilt the quilt.

Soapstone Quilts said...

A well deserved win, and especially since it is a MQX win. Congratulations!!

barbara woods said...

congrats you deserved it

Mary W Quilts said...

Congratulations!! I'm heading up there on Sunday. I will definitely check it out.

Marlene said...

Congratulations. how fantastic and I am so glad you get a ribbon-as you should.

Diane said...

Congratulations on the blue ribbon! I had the pleasure of viewing it in person yesterday. It's even more striking in person. Your quilting totally enhances the intricate applique and gave it a look of hand quilted. I loved it!!!

Joy said...

I didn't even know that some shows award ribbons to quilters. It's nice to be recognized because the quilting can be the element that takes a quilt to a ribbon standing. I also think that the designer should be recognized. Fabric can also make or break a quilt. There is so much that goes into quilt making. Your ribbon is well deserved.

Michele said...

I forgot that you'll get a ribbon too. Whoo hoo. Well deserved. And as soon as I can get my pics downloaded off my camera I will send you the ones I took of both of your quilts.

Annie said...

Congratulations!!

Rettabug said...

Congratulations, Valerie! You are most deserving of the blue ribbon...your work is amazing.

Hugs,
Rett