Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Barbara's Ribbon Winner

Last fall I finished "the monster" - and I shared the progress with all of you here on the blog.  Quilting this quilt just about killed me.  It was the most detailed quilt and most difficult quilting plan I have carried out to date - not to mention it was also the largest at 120" x 120".  I did my very very best at the time - but I'll admit by the end I learned a LOT and there are some things I will never do again that I didn't know when starting this project.  I'm thrilled - OVER THE MOON - to learn that she won 3rd place in Group Quilts at the 2015 Tuscon Quilt Fiesta.  Woohoo!


Because I am "the quilter" working for hire, I often don't get acknowledgement when quilts win.  There are some shows that also present a ribbon to the quilter - but I'm really ok with it when they do not.  However - I do LOVE to have a photo!  Seeing a quilt that I put my blood sweat and tears into quilting win something, well like when a sports team wins a trophy - I feel like I was part of a winning team!  So I live for the photo so I can share and brag a little.  This girl has only been long arm quilting for two years, so to know that I can be a part of ribbon winning quilts - well I am awfully awfully proud of that.

Here are some photos of the finished quilting...in true Valerie fashion after pulling it off the frame I found a few unquilted spots I missed.  I could start a page just for "oops".  :)  Rest assured if you spot one of those areas - I did quilt it before sending home.  These were my pictures fresh off the frame...









One thing I will say about quilting such a large piece like this - nothing has seemed to take very long or be very difficult afterwards!  LOL

4 comments:

Lara B. said...

Wow, that is Fantastic Valerie! I can see why you are over the moon! You know, the finished quilt truly is a team effort. Everything about it is simply gorgeous, from the oh-so-beautiful appliques Barbara did to the Oh-My-Goodness quilting you did! I believe that the quilter's contribution needs be acknowledged by shows 100% of the time!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! The quilting looks excellent to me. I can't imagine doing something that large and intricate. Way to go!

Michele said...

It really is gorgeous work and congrats to both of you on the win.