Sunday, January 11, 2015

Disney Swap 2015

Yesterday I took a break from scheduled quilts to finish my Disney Quilts Swap quilt!  Despite not being perfect and having a few hiccups - I am still very pleased with how it turned out.

I wish I could say it was my very best quilting but I have learned something about myself - I work better with a plan.  I winged it with this one and if I were to do it over again I would defnitely do some things differently.  I do try to do my best with everything I make - and I tried to make this little quilt something pretty - so I really hope my swap partner likes it!

Of course I quilted a wrinkle in the back (you can bet I'll be putting the label there) and some gunk came flying off my quilting foot and I can't get the darn spot out so - I'm going to use a really professional method called "stick something over it".  LOL  I thought I had seen some really pretty 3d butterfly appliqués at one of the craft stores...I think with this being so frilly and girly it will look nice.



I have discovered I ADORE quilting satin!  It's a little finicky on the domestic - this is small so I quilted it on the Juki....even with basting the slippery satin wrinkled on me and I didn't even realize I had stitched in a nice deep wrinkle until I was finished.  The deadline is Wednesday so I just literally don't have TIME to rip it...so a label it is!  :)


I used my Derwent Inktense pencils to color in Ariel - and I actually traced this image onto the white muslin (with a few changes...it's actually a Christmas coloring page and had holly with berries and other Christmas elements to it that I removed) and just colored in the areas with fabric medium and ink.  I did go back and add black to the eyes which I'm not sure if I'm happy about or not - but there's nothing I can do about it now.  I don't think it's terrible...but I might have been better off leaving them blank and open!!!  LOL

The richness and shininess of that satin quilted is unbelievable to me.  I am really anxious to try this on the long arm with an even more intricate design.  This is a scrap that was gifted to me with a big box of miscellaneous fabric a year or so ago...so it's really lovely heavy - probably expensive dressmaker's satin.  I have toyed with the idea of quilting up some dupioni silk...but holy cow is that stuff expensive.  Until I have a really great quilt in mind...satin might be a great affordable alternative for me.  Very very lovely!  It also comes in more colors!



So this was a ton of fun.  Something different but still it has my style and taste in it!  I will take a snippet of the full package to share before I send it off.  My swap partner also likes Alice in Wonderland and Lilo and Stitch.  I bought a cute pin of Stitch when we were in Disney World back in September and also brought home some other goodies for her...while out and about today I might see if I can't find something of Alice to stick in with her little package.  :)

Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

dq said...

The quilting is lovely. What kind of fabric did you use?

Michele said...

Even with the hickups it still turned out very pretty.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

It's wonderful! For the eyes, I'd color in a soft white in the whites area and add a touch of a white dot in the black for a reflection. It'll dramatically change the eyes and I bet you'll love them more.

I'd love to see more of this type of work from you. The satin is perfect as a frame. I bet your partner is going to love this.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Our prayer quilt ministry has been given a top made of satin squares--I'm guessing from the 40-50s, and one of these days I'm going to get up the courage to long-arm quilt that--although I'm thinking of using cotton for the backing and a cotton batt. I think the quilting should show up very well, but it will still be an adventure!