Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Batting

What kind of batting do you use?  What do you prefer even if you don't get to use it all the time?

My absolute favorite batting is Hobbs 80/20.  I was seriously miffed when my local Jo Ann Fabrics stopped carrying it!  For me convenience is a huge factor in my batting purchases.  I'm home most days and when I do venture out, I often have three bored children and a Daddy who's not thrilled with shopping tagging along with me.  Lately I've been using the inexpensive Quilter's Fleece from Walmart.  I've washed and used several projects with it and I'm pretty happy!  For utility type quilts I think it's great stuff, but I'll have to use it long term to see if there are any issues with bearding.  Because my beloved Hobbs isn't easily available to me my second choice has been Warm and White for machine quilting and for the once in a blue moon when I get a bug up my butt to hand quilt, I use Warm and Natural.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 90" wide cuts you can get at the fabric store.  No need to buy pre-bagged hunks and I love that because I can buy just how much I want.  If I know that I'm going to be stuck with leftover I can buy just a little more so that the extra hunk can be used for something - less waste!

What kind of batting do you use?

2 comments:

julieQ said...

I too love 80/20. I have several different battings right now, because I hit a 50% off sale at JoAnn's. My absolute favorite! though...is silk. You can make the tiniest hand quilting stitches, and your needle glides through like...silk!! Very expensive, though, so I have only used it for one quilt.

Anonymous said...

HELLO! THANKS FOR YOUR POST!
I'M WITH YOU>LOVE HOBBS 80/20! IT IS MY MOST FAVORITE! MAYBE WE SHOULD BOMBARD 'JO-ANNS' WITH EMAILS?
HAPPY STITCHING!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com