Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Finish for 2011

Yay! I finished something, and it's only January 5th! I hope I'm setting a trend for the rest of the year... ;)

I am actually really happy with how this turned out! I learned quite a bit with this little experiment. First and foremost it's going to take practice to improve, and this has inspired me to get going on some more practice projects asap!!! Also I think that I probably should have used a topstitch needle because the invisible thread is accompanied by lots and lots of holes!!! I tried spraying this with a little water and pinning it to my ironing board to help it lay nice and flat and square, which really seemed to help so I'm going to do that again for sure. It also helped to hide some of those little holes too, so that's a good thing to know.

All in all I think the trapunto turned out really neat, and now I have some ideas for how to improve it's look in my next projects. The McTavishing is looky very McTavishy, so I'm happy with that as well! I think it will be fun to try in different colors of thread too...

My next obsession is now with hand dyes...I am going to try and stock up on a few bolts of cotton for dyeing and dyes to go with it. I'm not sure how safe they are to play with while pregnant and it seems to be an outdoor type of project so I'll save it for after baby comes when the weather gets warmer in June hopefully. I bet the girls will have fun helping me too. :)

3 comments:

Zlaty said...

Congratulations on your first finish! I think it turned out great! I love your McTavishing and the trapunto!

Happy sewing!

Doti in TN said...

Congrats on your first finish for 2011, Have you played with koolaid dying? If so howed it go? Doti of DotisSpot.etsy

Teresa said...

Looks great to me!