Monday, January 3, 2011

Experimenting with Trapunto, McTavishing, and More...

Yesterday I was supposed to be painting and cleaning...but then something happened. I came across this website and found myself unable to move from my computer chair for nearly three hours. All I can say is WOW. If you want to be inspired to the point of immobility check out Patsy Thompsons blog, I literally went through every post all the way back to 2006 when she first began her website. I love my traditional quilts and primitive brown/red/black palette's, but boy oh boy the colors alone in Patsy's quilts will make you salivate and warm you right up on a cold day in January!

Inspired by her quilts and quilting, I drew up this feathery thingy doodad to experiment with. Patsy also posted a few videos on YouTube demonstrating a really easy trapunto technique. It's hard to see the trapunto here, but scroll down and you'll see a few pictures of what I did.

In the above picture and below I closed up on my attempt at McTavishing. I don't know what Karen McTavish would say about this, lol*, she might not even appreciate me attatching her name to my so called "technique", but hey, it's my first shot!!! Lol* I'm using invisible monofiliment thread for the McTavishing and I also used it some in the trapunto around the feather applique.


More of my "McTavishing". Lol*





Here's a little closeup of the trapunto'ed feather...I used more invisible thread and my new Sulky variegated in pink and yellow...

Here's a better view of the feather before I started quilting. This is just the trapunto'ed section. I can see that this is going to take a LOT of practice, but this was fun!

Here's a closeup of the trapunto'ed section from the back...

3 comments:

Mumzie said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love this style of quilting...even though this is the first time I've seen it. My sewing machine would bunch all up doing this; but boy do I want to try. Thanks for sharing. Yvonne :)

UKMUMINUSA said...

Wow, your quilting is amazing, what machine do you have?

Anonymous said...

I also recently found Patsy's blog in a search for free motion quilting ideas, and have read every post at least twice over the past few weeks. She is amazing and had inspired me in so many ways! I am branching out and trying things I've never done before, and having the time of my life!

Good job!!

Yvonne
quilting_yvonne