Saturday, October 2, 2010

If Ever I Have Nothing Else...

At Least I Have Apples.


I'm feeling that feeling you feel when the weather grows colder, the days grow shorter, and when rust colored leaves begin to fall from the trees. It's time to quilt, it's time to cook, it's time to think of Halloween Costumes and Christmas Treasures.

I made a decision today. A big one too. It started with a visit to the Doctor on Friday. We were able to see my little kidney bean baby's heart beat! It was strong and vivid on the screen, and after having several miscarriages in the past, it was a sigh of relief to my Husband and I both. After witnessing to us what is nothing less than a miracle on a screen, we made our way up to the maternity floor for a tour. For my previous two daughters we traveled to a nearby town with a much larger hospital for delivery. But this time, it just feels right, we're going to have this baby at the local hospital. While that was quite a decision on it's own, that's not the big one that I'm itching to share. The trip to the hospital catapulted me into thought, something not uncommon for me. I'm a thinker. Some would say I think too much. So I thought about our talks with the incredibly kind and open nurses at the hospital, and about this new baby and what I want for my family. I guess I'm misleading you by telling you it started at the hospital...it really started when I found out I was pregnant, but it came to a head just today. I've decided I'm going to stay home with my children just a few more years. This is me, it's who I am, I'm a Mommy and a little old lady at heart! I thought cosmetology school would be something fun to do for a while, but my heart is with nursing...so when the time is right I'm going to put my energy into my passion. Until then, my passion is my family, and my heart is here with them. Such a huge decision this was, but I feel like weight is off me now that I've made it. Now my focus can go to growing this healthy little baby and taking care of my two daughters and Husband. It's been one heck of a year...but I'm the happiest I've been in the longest time...and I feel so lucky to be able to make this choice.

and now I shall make Apple Crisp. ;)


I have had this pie dish for nearly ten years...it was one of my yard sale treasures. I remember when I found it...seventy five cents was written in black permanent marker on a piece of masking tape on the bottom. Somebody's junk. Something they'd had since who knows when that had been hiding in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Just hiding and waiting for little old me to come along with my three quarters...and the enthusiasm that fills the heart of a new cook. It has been one of the best three quarters that I have ever spent. I have made sweet crazy bread in this pie dish, pies (who'd a thunk?), apple cobbler, apple crisp, apple that and apple this. :) The only thing I haven't made in this little pie plate...is something with pumpkin in it!


1 comment:

Chloe m said...

You will never regret the decision to stay home with your little ones. Sometimes the world makes you feel like you are second-class citizen for putting your family at the top of your list. But, have no doubts, you know what it best for your family.


I just had to put my two cents in.
Rosey