Thursday, March 19, 2009

Garden Post: I have a sprout!

I mentioned last summer how I was going to attempt winter sowing in 2009. I got a later start than I'd planned, putting my first jugs out in early February. I actually forgot about them (although I'm sure my neighbors didn't as they filled up our front porch) until a few days ago when I decided I could no longer tolerate looking at 30 jugs and 3 lasagna trays every time I walk out the front door. While moving them to a less visible sunny patch in the side yard, I noticed this...



I HAVE A SPROUT!!!!! I did a "yipppeeee!" and a happy dance right there in the side yard. Lol* That itty bitty green dot in there, with luck, will grow into a hollyhock. What makes it even more special, is that this sprout grew from seeds my Mother saved from my parents hollyhocks last year. I put them out the same time as I put out Burpee hollyhock seeds and still, Mom's sprouted first. I think that is awesome. Lol*

4 comments:

Kris said...

A sprout! A sprout! I am doing the happy dance for you. Woohoo. It was so cold last night that threw a blanket over my 2 little sprouts. But today is SPRING and soon nice weather will be more the norm, yes? Yes? ;-D

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Thank you so much for the Harvest Pinwheels tutorial. This is definitely a pattern that I will make in the very near future. I love the colors you chose for the quilt and may use exactly the same. Have a blessed weekend! kelley from kentucky

Anonymous said...

Your too funny! :-) Does this mean your going into the gardening business? (still guessing here!)

SheMeows said...

Congratulations on that first sprout. Before you know it, you will have lots more little ones to keep that one company.

I love Hollyhock and planted some of the dark/nearly black just a week ago.