Monday, April 30, 2012

Cupcake Snack Mat and Thoughts

What do you think of the new blogger?  I'm not sure if I like it myself.  Maybe because I haven't gotten used to it.  Third post since they changed over and I still have to hunt to find the right place to click!

Finally found time to sew...I've been baking and baking and baking...and eating and eating and eating!  I have been having a LOT of fun learning all about baking and making cakes in preparation for my daughter's birthday.  I say to those around me that it's "in my blood", as my Grandmother was an avid baker.  She passed away when my oldest daughter was just a baby, I was only around 20, during a tumultuous time in my family.  Lots of conflict and disconnection that occurred due to events that happened long before I was born.  All things happen for a reason and while the separation may have been necessary at the time, it leaves me wondering if my interest in baking somehow is inherent from my Grandmother.  I would have liked to pick her brain of all her baking knowledge. 

My Mother has taught me a lot and definitely instilled a love of cooking in me and I definitely believe my passion for sewing is a direct result of the hours I spent listening to the sound of her sewing machine as a child.  To this day the smell of starch and the sound of steam from an iron bring me straight back to my youth.

These days I have more hobbies than I know what to do with.  Baking is the latest obsession, but my all time passion aside from my family is quilting.  I don't think anything will make me quite as happy as quilts do.  I am having a good time ticking off the list of each new creative endeavor I find myself suddenly emmersed in however.  But in the end they always lead me back to quilts.  Like cakes...cupcakes even.  I have been dreaming of cupcakes and what do you know?  Somehow my two little hands produced not a cupcake...but a quilted cupcake...isn't that a peculiar thing?  :)



1 comment:

Deanna said...

Cute snack mat. Your quilting is really nice and looks great on the quilt. I would so like a taste of that low calorie frosting.