Sunday, August 23, 2009

You can call me a quilting Nurse! In three to four years that is...

Lol* Ok, well, you might have noticed I've been an infrequent blogger lately. I haven't forgotten or even lost interest in blogging, lol*, I've just lost time! I've done a lot of thinking, and Hubby and I have done a LOT of talking, and it looks as though I'm going to be going back to college full time this fall to become a nurse! I'm very excited about this. I've been wanting to work or do something with myself for some time but the kids weren't quite ready. I'd begun taking prerequisites years ago, with plans to attend a nursing program, but my oldest daughter was so small I felt like I was forcing her to sacrifice having a Mother for my own interests. But my youngest is now headed to preschool for a few days a week and this will allow me to spend some time focusing on my direction in life, earn an education, and still give a good chunk of myself to my children. It will take me a few years to get through all of the courses required, before I'm even able to apply for the nursing program, but I'm really looking forward to it! I enjoy people and have an interest in the medical field so I think this is going to be fun and challenging.

I still plan to keep you updated on my projects and know that I'm following along with all of you, even if I'm not able to comment as much as I'd like to. Wish me luck!

17 comments:

Molly said...

Congratulations! What an exciting step for you and your family! :)

Cheryl said...

A big yipee to you!!! My DIL is a nurse and works two days a week, so my grandson visits me those days. It's a great work schedule for all of us. We will all be cheering you on!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Congrats...and good for you! Were you still starting a pattern business too?

Karen said...

Good luck on pursuing a new career. Both my mother and mother-in-law became LPN's later in life. For my mother, it was how she supported herself after my father died. My daughter is also a nurse. A very noble profession.
I hope you will still find for your sewing.

Kimberly said...

Wow, congratulations! I wish you all the best... I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

Pat said...

I wish you the best of luck with your career plans. We need a lot of nurses...and SOON as the shortage of them is quite frightening in this country right now.

Trisha said...

Wow, that's a big decision! Best wishes!!

Kayla said...

Good for you! I started working full-time in May teaching at my daughter's child care center. She turned 3 in June and is starting the preschool program this fall. I finally felt she was ready to be at school a little more, and it has been so good for her. I am doing a job I love, she is just down the hall and everyone is happy. I'm so glad you are following your dreams. It's so important not to lose yourself while trying to be a mama and a wife.

Teresa said...

Congratulations on making this big decision and I wish you much success. I think the nursing profession has to be one of the most important - right up there with teachers. I have had my share of hospital stays with my daughter and elderly parents and I know without some very caring and knowledgeable nurses, it would have been much harder to deal with.

cockermom said...

Hey good for you! There are a quite a few of us quilting nurses out there. Check out Steph over at Scraps. We both raise Cocker Spaniels also..you wouldn't by any chance have one or two of them around too would you? lol

julieQ said...

Best of luck to you in your upcoming nursing adventure! I am a nurse too, and love it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations Valerie! This is great. You will be able to do homework with your kids, and really serve as their role model. I went to school after my daughter was born, and you really could see the pride in her eyes.

Holly said...

Ok just too weird. I want to do that too. I have to wait till Andrew starts school. 3 1/2 years to go for me.

Anonymous said...

Hello Valerie, congratulations and good luck with your nursing venture....hugs lyn

Ann-Christin said...

Good luck! and congrats! I am a nurse since 1976. I am a midwife and psychiatric nurse working with infants and mothers! I live in Sweden and our education are diffrent from yours but to work with people are the same, so.....
Nurse and quilter from Sweden!

Ann-Christin

http://ann-christin.zoomin.se/

Juryizstillout said...

Val,
Well, I guess since you spilled, I should too. I've been thinking about it awhile now. So, I made an application to nursing school for this spring. Sounds like you are doing so well. I hope to do the same if it all works out.