Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Celtic Knot Progress and A New Applique Stabilizer

I'm continuing to work on this quilt though I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point.  Do you ever have a project like that?  I used a lot of muted colors so I could even the quilt out with heavy quilting, but the colors at this point are kind of losing my interest.


I'm going to try and force myself to applique some flowers on tonight.  I think that bit of color and visual interest will help keep me motivated!


I started to applique the small celtic knots on yesterday.  I discovered that the knot I had chosen for the center portion of this quilt was too tightly woven for the size bias tape I am using so I found a new knot - it is triangular instead of round so I think it might even be a better fit.

These are the fabrics I pulled for applique.  I may add to this - and certainly I will take away some.


OH - and I have been asking around about Sharon Schamber's  applique stabilizer.  A quilter that I follow on Facebook was asking about applique and someone recommended Sharon's stabilizer...and it really intrigued me because it is paper packed but wash away - and from what I understand it leaves a fabric behind after washed that helps to fill out the applique.  It's a little more than I wanted to spend on an experiment for now, so I looked for some sort of alternative while shopping on Monday.  I found this... Pellon Stick-N-Washaway.


It's not quite the same thing, but it does wash away - and what I like is that it has an adhesive back.  The adhesive is paper backed, so you can run it through your computer (so Electric Quilt users, this would be great for you).

What I don't like so much is that it's just not stiff enough.  It's more like a sticky fabric.  I attempted a few flowers...meh they kind of turned out bad, but I wanted to see if I could use this.  I might, I haven't decided for sure.  I like that it's soft so I can needle through it.  My trouble is with accurately appliqueing small flowers like these...closer to the size of a penny or dime - maybe smaller.


Ahh well, I'm going to try and fit some quilting time for me in today.  My Husband is umpiring a few days a week and we like to watch him at the field, and my daughters have decided to join Girl Scouts so we've been busy with those things.  It's summer now so I'm not couped up in the house from snow or bad weather so the chores are stacking up!

Just a reminder I am still looking for quilts to long arm!  I have just a handful lined up so there is virtually no wait - I should be able to begin work on your quilt the day it arrives!  

Click image below to enlarge.


1 comment:

Reese @ Quilty Reese said...

I use Sharon's applique foundation and find that it is well worth the money. I love it and use it for all my turned edge applique. Since I started doing my applique this way It has improved so much.