Thursday, January 3, 2013

LINT

I had to post this...for those of you curious what we mean when we say Essential thread is a linty thread.  THAT folks is a LOT of lint.  This is just from piecing...I am making NINE dresden plate blocks (NINE!!!) and I am almost done piecing them together.  Yes it's about ... let's see, nine times twenty is - 180 pieces plus about twenty or thirty that will go towards Etsy projects...so just over 200 or so blades/petals/spokes whatever you like to call them.  THAT IS A LOT OF LINT for just piecing. 

Don't get me wrong...I still like the color selection...and the the price is great.  But when I say it's a linty thread, that's what I mean.  After sewing with So Fine! for a few weeks and not doing much piecing this was a shocker to find in my bobbin area...and yes I cleaned it out before I started piecing because I had just finished free motioning up my Mother in Law's quilt.  :)


Below is a picture before I swiped...doesn't look like much...but it is!!  I hadn't even gotten the area to the left of this.


Below is the offending spool of beautiful, but messy thread!


If it doesn't matter to you - then no big deal.  But if cleaning out that lint gets on your nerves...now you know what to expect.  :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is a lot of lint. I don't think I have any of that thread to worry about. =)

Lise said...

Now that's lots of lint...what kind of thread is this??? I just purchase some but throught a website and not sure the name brand...

Fran said...

I have been using the thread from Connecting Threads for well over two years now, and do not have a problem with lint (and I agree that's a LOT of lint for that amount of piecing). I have heard that the amount of lint might depend on what machine you are using, mine is an HV Sapphire. You can't beat the price of the thread, and I have no complaints.

gale said...

That looks like Connecting Threads thread. I have a lot of lint with it too. I generally clean the bobbin area with each bobbin change but sometimes I do it halfway through with CT thread. When I'm using Aurifil I sometimes do it every other bobbin.

Michele said...

I like Essentials thread too and because of the lower cost and other nice features I guess I'll just deal with the lint. Less than $3 per spool versus the $11-$12 for Aurifil is worth the extra time to clean the race more often.

gale said...

I agree that the price is right. However, I have one spool (that I should throw in the trash) that keeps shredding. I tried different size needles and it didn't help. So maybe it's just a bad spool but it was so frustrating at the time that I almost threw every spool of CT thread I had in the trash. And to top it off, it was the very first spool of it I ever tried so my impression was tainted right out of the gate. So for piecing I keep spending on the expensive stuff but for quilting with colored thread, I take my chances with CT. I can't afford to buy multiple colors of Aurifil.

Michelle said...

That's funny. I use Essential for almost all of my piecing and quilting and it creates a LOT less lint than the pricy thread that came with my sewing machine, recommended by the dealer.

With as much thread as I use, I'll put up with cleaning my machine frequently. :-)