Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day Three - Quilt Two! :)

Well - it's almost one in the morning (so technically it's day four) - and I'm finished with my parents quilt!  I pieced this a LONG time ago and it's been sitting around waiting to be quilted.  It was my first experience with Y seams and some of them weren't closed.  Eep.  Got the foot stuck in a hole more than once today...

I was determined to try feathers...they aren't fabulous...but they will do!  They are super thready...they look a lot like my first feathers on my domestic.  I'm feeling like if I just keep plugging along, challenging myself I can do this.


I didn't piece this well so there was some fullness I struggled a bit to redistribute.  Good practice though.  Not that it was terribly difficult, but I was still trying to figure out how to slow down to plan ahead and keep things neat.  That will take some practice that's for sure.  I also got a small pleat on the back and I sort of knew it was going to happen...didn't pull the backing taught enough but I know now...I had a feeling it was too loose, I should have listened to my instincts!  ;)




My parents are pretty forgiving so I didn't do much ripping when the feathers started to get ugly.  LOL**  This is their bed quilt...and I'm READY for bed!  My Mom has a small quilt she's putting a backing together for me to quilt for her and a friend from my quilt guild has a quilt she offered for me to practice on so I've got my work cut out for me.  Having a great time though!  I'll try to post over the next few days but it may be slow going.  The house is starting to fall apart and I think tomorrow I'm going to have to catch up on all the chores I've been neglecting to play with my new toy.  :)

4 comments:

Mommarock said...

It looks FANTASTIC.. remember you are your own worst critic!

Anonymous said...

Oooo! You are doing great! That quilt will be so loved and there's nothing to forgive with that quilting!!! Warmest hugs coming your way........

Michele said...

Hey I think you are doing fantastic so far. But yes those household chores must be kept up too. Try doing what I do....finish one of them and then give yourself a reward with some quilting time. When the clock runs out, do another chore and then reward yourself again. This way you accomplish something worthwhile on both fronts.

Rachel said...

LOL to the house falling apart! I remember that. I am not sure we have recovered yet! Your work is looking fabulous!!