Thursday, January 10, 2013

Heirloom Quilting Practice

While waiting for my long arm I've been practicing my heirloom style quilting.  This is SO much fun!  I wanted to practice a few different designs...you can tell the offset cathedral windows could use some work.  Eep.  They are TOUGH at that tiny size.  I made a 1/4" diamond grid and I think next time I'll go 1/2" until I can gain a little more control.  The crosshatch turned out good though!  Especially since it's just marked on lines and freehanded....I'm hoping I'll get a more precise result with the long arm and a ruler.


Above is a picture in progress.  I pulled it out from under the machine just to get a quick picture before dinner.  The quilting looks so much better in that lighting...I used cotton batting scraps so there isn't much poof...need the right light to really see the beauty of the quilting.

Below isn't the most flattering picture but you can see what I did.  It's wet and squished from removing the marking pen.  Maybe I can get a better picture tomorrow.  I'd like to finish off the shadow quilting and then add some paint and beading.  I have about ten projects going right now (no joke!) so we'll see how long it takes me to get to it.  :)


5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh my gosh this is wonderful! Lovely work.

Mumzie said...

It's absolutely beautiful! How long did this project take...just wondering. Mumzie

Michele said...

Pretty, pretty! I'm very impressed.

Anonymous said...

I have become a huge fan of the 'whole cloth' quilting. Your is stunning!

Sewing Junkie said...

Looks like you have the style down pat. Glad you are doing so well.