Friday, December 28, 2012

Something Old and Something New


I mentioned that I have been spending a lot of time on Cindy Needham's blog and website in my last post...and she has inspired me to dig into my collection of oldies, and pair them up with some new things.  I have always had an appreciation for things that have age.  This is something that has really bonded my Husband and I together over the years and always surprises friends and family.  My Husband, baseball loving rough and tumble type of guy that he is, doesn't usually strike people as the antique shopping type.  But that is one of our favorite things to do together!  He appreciates old things as I do and is always on the look out for something that tells the history of baseball.

So with my new found inspiration I went digging and pulled out these old appliques.  My last name begins with an S so when I purchased them at an estate sale it was only because of their charm, I didn't think to use them.  But I happened to find this lovely scroll fabric recently...and don't those look like C's?  Well my maiden name begins with...a C.  :)  So now this MUST become something for my parents, don't you think?


I also found this green fabric that didn't photograph so well.  It has a circling sort of cathedral windows effect to it that didn't show up here.  Here it looks like green snowflakes!  Ack!  Anyhow I thought these would be a beautiful combination.  I don't know where this is going yet.  I know I have linens around but not the luxurious kind that Cindy uses.  I have lots of those old needlework linens and doilies that were never embroidered.  I don't know what I'll do with these.  I had always planned to embroider them myself, but you know how plans go.  :)

Here's another little find I just thought I'd throw in.  Do you remember when JC Penny sold patterns?  I don't think that was in my lifetime to be honest!!!  :)  I don't know, I'm thinking this must be from the 30's I'm guessing?  Older?  Newer?  I can't bare to open it up and find the date as it is stapled shut.  It came in a box of items I bought that mainly had tatting tools and threads.  Some of the newsprint was from the early 1900's.  I need to find a creative way to display these old items.  I just love them and am compelled to save them from deteriorating in someones attic or basement.


No comments: