Monday, July 6, 2009

A Stitching Treasure

I found an absolute treasure at a yard sale Saturday - a treadle! It's much more ornate than the treadle that my Husband bought me, that I think may have been made sometime between 1900-1920. This one is so fancy that I'm wondering if it might be even newer? Maybe made to look like the fancy old earlier ones? I'm not sure.

In any case it is beautiful, and I think all it needs is a cleaning and a new belt. When we got it home, after some fiddling, Hubby and I opened the drawers to find them stuffed full! There were four or five boxes of parts and attatchments, notions, some old pictures that I actually felt really guilty for having after we got it home because it probably belonged to the lady at the sale...now I couldn't tell you what house we got it at either. There are old reciepts for service repairs and I think, the reciept for the actual machine...it says $300 and some odd dollars. SO neat. I can't wait to get this machine working...
it has the bullet style bobbin case - anyone know anything about this type of bobbin? There are a few manuals but I didn't see one that went with the machine, although there are so many things inthe drawers I wouldn't be shocked if it's in there somewhere!
OH, the kicker? It cost $25.

16 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh my goodness - what a buy! I can't help believe that the woman who originally owned this would be so pleased to know a quilter had it now. I have an old treadle that I need to learn to use, but not as pretty as yours. I believe it is a Franklin, but I may have that name wrong.

Leah Spencer said...

What a sweet, sweet, sweet deal!!

I hope you get it in working condition, it might be a good way to teach your daughters how to sew.

3anklebiters said...

it is beautiful. now you can keep stitching when the power is out.
;-)

Pat said...

WOW...what a find!!!

Karen said...

I see you got a real bargain. I know you love sewing machines.

Ruth said...

That is fabulous! We once purchased a beautiful treadle sewing machine at a garage sale for $25 & then sold it for about $250. However, I wished later that I had kept it. Maybe, when I have more room, I'll try to find another one. I hope you get it working and can actually use it. That would be so neat!

Chloe m said...

That is so cool. I love old stuff. I hope you get it going again.
Rosey

Mumzie said...

It beautiful! It's just like my mom's that I learned to sew on back in the 1960's. Once you got the rhythm going, you could sew anything. It did a fabulous job on all my projects. I loved it. Anyway, I only wish I had it today....just for the memories and it's beauty. Congrats on such a wonderful find. Mumzie

Stephanie D said...

WOW! That is an amazing find and for an amazing amount! And it's sooo pretty. Have you ever sewn on a treadle machine? Where will you get a belt for it?

My mother-in-law had a treadle machine, but we lived out of state when she died and I think one of the granddaughters took it with her. I've never learned to sew on one, and don't know where I'd put it, but I would never have been able to pass that up, either.

Trisha said...

Wow! What a treasure!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic bargain!!! It's a beauty. I'm glad it made it into the hands of a good home that will really appreciate the value.

Danielle said...

So cool! What a treasured find, hope it works well for you. It's worth it for the 25 just as a piece of art! Bonus of it actually runs, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Valerie, I see your photo of the Verbascum. It is a beauty isn't it?

Unfortunately 'Southern Charm' is a hybrid and the seed won't produce the same plant. The species Verbascum phoeniculum however, will come true. I've got 'Rosea' which is as the name suggests, a rosy pink color. I grew it from seed and it was amazingly easy. Sowed last summer, the plants grew fine but didn't bloom until this year. Unfortunately I haven't collected much seed yet but if they bloom again, which I think they might, I'd be happy to get in touch with you and send you some. I'll forget though if you don't remind me. LOL.

Kayla said...

Wow, Valerie! That is an amazing find. Why can't I find things like that at garage sales?

I studied the treadle my mom has when we were there a few weeks ago. The exterior is just too trashed to repair. We didn't even begin to examine the inside.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I have a beautiful little treadle sewing machine I bought many years ago...$57. I thought it was a steal then. Enjoy.

Juryizstillout said...

Daaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnng! You really did well. Looks like my treadle for $10!

Hey, try quiltropolis.net. They have a group called "Treadle On". Membership is free, and if you're looking for a manual, people are more than tickled to help you.