Monday, July 13, 2009

Mid July Garden

Gosh, this summer is flying by. It's already the middle of July! There are so many things I still need to do around the house before school begins again. Wheew. Maybe I stop to smell the roses too often? LOL*
These daylilies are amazing. I'm toying with the idea of creating a small lily bed. I've seen some on other garden blogs and am in love!

Here's a little scrappy looking one, these are newly transplanted from my Husband's Grandmother's Garden. How lucky am I? She thinned out her garden a week ago and this was one of the lucky plants we inherited. Oh I can't wait for next year!!! I can't wait to see what all my babies do!

I can see why black eyed susans are a staple in many gardens. They are so hardy, and I am amazed at how much one packet of seeds has mulitiplied to in a years time in my garden. I think I may have been a little crazy to buy eight more plants this year from a garden plant sale! But they were only 50 cents a piece so I couldn't pass them up. I'm going to have these coming out my ears next year. But I think that's ok ;) BTW, this picture, shows only about 1/4 of the returning black eyed susans from the packet I direct sowed last year.


Oh oh oh...and I had to update on the pumpkins! Did you see a few posts ago these were just little babies about the size of a small grape? Now they are about the size of a golf ball. C'mon pumpkins keep on growin'!
The garden has been a lot of fun to enjoy with my daughters. They remember every stage and when Daddy comes home at night, they say, "Daddy, Daddy, guess what we did today?! We saw the baby pumpkins and picked beans!" They have helped me plant nearly everything in the garden, water, and watch it all grow. I'm so happy, I hope they always remember these things! I remember when I was a little girl and my Mom and I would pick plants by the railroad tracks for drying...Queen Anne's Lace, buttercups, Yarrow...we'd find wild sassafrass growing and my Mom would make tea with it. I remember picking green beans in my Grandmother's back yard garden too...and that those simple little things were so much fun too!

7 comments:

Orcsmom said...

I so enjoy watching the progress of your garden. Please continue! Best wishes!

Pam

Julie in the Barn said...

I love daylilys. They seem to grow about anywhere. I'm so envious of your little pumpkins. My plants are going berzerk but they haven't produced any female blossems, only males. They are pretty but aren't giving me any potential pies!

My verification word is "adasies" which reminds me how much I love Shasta Daisys, too.

Stephanie D said...

Okay, I'm swallowing back the jealousy here!! lol Those pumpkins are gonna be terrific! And I love the black-eyed susans and the daylilies. Maybe that's what should go in the current veggie plot for next year.

Chloe m said...

I think you will love a lily bed.
Your pumpkins are kinda cute. Thanks for sharing!
Rosey

Sandy said...

Morning, I was quilt blogging and found your site and have added both you and your dad to my blog list.

I remember going to my grandma's in the summer and eating fresh veggies from her garden.

My garden is very small--tomatos and cucumbers!

Anonymous said...

I love rudbeckia too, and you should see the variety I bought today called Maya. Wow, I'm in love! I'll post a photo soon. But my first love is coneflowers, in every shape and color. I have four different ones now, soon to be more!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I love daylilies, too. That's a pretty one there! Your pumpkins are cute! I'm glad your kids are excited about gardening.