Friday, August 16, 2013

Small Whole Cloth Progress and Side Leaders

I found some time last night to sneak in a little work on my whole cloth.  The previous transfer of this pattern didn't do well - it just wasn't looking right, so I remarked on this fabric and I'm much happier.  I used Sharon Schamber's instructions to create side leaders for my long arm and I can't even begin to tell you the difference it makes in control!  I'm a big fan of detail work so this is wonderful for me. Here are a few pictures of my hours of work last night.  This tiny quilt is going to take some time!




It's so hard sometimes to see the beauty in your own work.  I love this - yet I see ALL the flaws!  It will be better for me when it's finished because there will be so much stitching it will be harder to find the mistakes.  Still, I'm loving this!  I also love the lower contrast thread than I had before - more focus on texture and less focus on THREAD.


Here are pictures of the design for those who haven't seen it yet...


...and here is what I had BEFORE remarking on new fabric...



See how the circles are all crazy?  I do love the color of the thread against this fabric but when you have that much contrast you have to be PERFECT.  It is more about the thread than the texture.  I want to be able to enjoy my pretty fabric and have the texture be a bonus.

So that's what I'm working on!  For anyone interested in my whole side leader set up I'm going to embed a video.  Please note that embedded videos have a tendency to get cut off - if you have any trouble viewing the clip visit my YouTube channel and switch to full screen.



I use these side leaders with rice bags and the stabilization is WONDERFUL.  I also baste my quilt for detail quilting just like Sharon does in her videos.  It is a lot of extra effort - but the results are amazing.

************************************************************

I'm going to link up today with Nina-Marie for her Off the Wall Friday!  I haven't had many of my own projects lately to share so I'm happy to be able to participate this week.  If you haven't visited her blog you need to, she is a very talented art quilter who inspires me endlessly!  :)




3 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

Little tricks make all the difference in the outcome. Looks great. Chris

Norma Schlager said...

Your quilting is amazing! And I agree with you in liking the low contrast in the thread. Beautiful!

Michele said...

I'm heading over to check out the side leader video now.