Friday, August 30, 2013

Dahlia Center Block


Almost finished with the center dahlia of my newest quilt.  The paper I used for piecing is still in place on the back, but when removed the  lines will be less jagged and flow smoothly.  I pulled a couple of pieces off just to be sure!  I still have decided if the center will stay black - I think it will.  There is black fabric behind the block right now, but the center is still open.  In my first draft the block had color in the center, but I think I may leave it open for quilting.


I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out!  I love the gradation of blues.  This is just a small piece of a much larger quilt.  Once I finish the center - it's onto loads and LOADS of paper piecing.  :)

I made a short video explaining how I pieced this for anyone interested in that sort of thing.  :)


Linking up with Nina for Off the Wall Friday!

8 comments:

Deb A said...

That is Beautiful! I like your idea of keeping the black. Some quilting in there will look awesome.

Teresa in Music City said...

Your dahlia is gorgeous Valerie!!! The colors just carry me away :*)

Queenie Believe said...

Wow, this is a seriously impressive work. Perfect piecing and beautiful colors! Carry on with the loveliness :o)
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh sweetie - this is just lovely! And once you add your thread magic it will be stunning!

Muv said...

It's beautiful - it looks 3D!

Love,
Muv

Laura said...

I can't wait to see where you are going with this!

Ann J said...

That's amazing - and the colour is beautiful !

Mary Ann said...

Wow! I found your site, you do awesome work. I struggle with piecing things well, you are a master. And your quilting!!!