Monday, June 17, 2013

Creating Unusual Borders - Whole Cloth Progress

   Here's where I'm at with the newest whole cloth.  I'm still not sure if there's going to be some piecing in the borders or not.  I keep going back and forth.  I kind of like it like this - but I'd like to enlarge it a bit.  Time will tell.


   I did make an error in the rays that needs corrected.  One corner has narrower rays than the other three so I'm going to mark those directly on the quilt at the correct measurement since I've already inked it in on that pattern.


   The rays will have some back fill too - I'm still not settled on what and I don't want to fill it in on the pattern since I need to correct them first.  I'm itching to start quilting this.  ITCHING!

   I have gone back and forth on the fabric and I think I've settled on which one I'm going to use...but I might change my  mind again!  Lol*  My dyes should be in this week from Dharma Trading Company and I've got five yards of extra wide backing fabric to dye.  I  might wait to dye before I quilt in case I like one of those better...but I don't know if I can wait that long!


   I didn't get great pictures of this process so I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone interested rather than doing an official "tutorial".  Maybe next time?  Here's a few pictures showing how I achieved that fancy border.  I'd like it to be the final outer border...and if I add borders I'd like to keep this shape.  I'll bind it with bias binding and other than the curves the pointy part shouldn't be much different than binding around any other corner.

   What I did was mark off the bottom left straight border of the quilt design.  Then rounded the edge, and created the shape I wanted...on freezer paper...


...then I just matched up the corners...


...and traced on my border.  I flipped my make shift pattern over for the opposite side.  This is basically the same technique I used to fill in the feathered scroll border.  I used the same pattern piece and just drew in the feathers...then traced and flipped to add it to the border.


Pretty neat and not too difficult!  Since this is intended to be a whole cloth there really isn't any piecing to worry about.  I'm planning to just place this down on to fabric and cut the shape out - plus 1/4" seam allowance...maybe a few millimeters extra so I can fit that beaded/pebble border in without cutting off my circles with my binding.


That's where I'm at!  Hope all is well in Blog Land.  Oh!  And...I'm still looking for quilts to quilt!  Free return shipping or 15% off for local customers is still going!  You've got a few more days to get your quilt in!  :)


3 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

Wow that looks great. Wish I was so talented. I maybe will try when I get this awful quilt done I am working on now. Keep creating. Chris

Anonymous said...

Am about to start on a 'whole cloth', too. Not as elaborate, though. Yours will be beyond incredible! Really like the curved outer edge treatment....great job!!! Hugs.........

Deb A said...

Love the curved outer border and your design is beautiful.