Thursday, April 29, 2010

School Update...

Just a little update post because I haven't shared with all of you, my quilting buddies and gardening pals about school lately! ;) Two more weeks and I'm off for summer break! I'm so excited. This next week I'm going to spend virtually every waking moment studying for finals, but I am fortunate enough to be able to take the summer off and relax a bit before getting back down to it next fall. My schedule is loaded with tough courses in preparation for the nursing program too. I'm going to take the next level up chemistry course, the second half of my anatomy course, and another writing class that from what I hear is a lot more writing than I've had in my previous classes! I also have to take a Human Development course before going into the nursing program that I haven't heard much about to really know what we're going to be doing.

As for the dreaded math - I'm struggling this semester quite a bit, but hopefully I can keep my head above water and at least pull a C. I really strive to keep my GPA up but this class is incredibly fast paced and the instructor demands a lot from us. I have another opportunity to take it in the fall though if I don't do well this time around, and even though I hate the thought of repeating a course, hopefully the second time I will have a better understanding of it. Several of my friends have repeated courses two and three times before getting into the nursing program, so at least I'm not alone! The staff joke at our school that our campus is the "Harvard of Nursing" in our area because the classes are so tough. Part of me would LOVE if they eased up on us a bit, but I can't tell you that I'm not proud of myself for sticking it out so far. We're not even in the program yet and people are dropping this major like a bad habit! LOL* I keep telling myself I'm going to be so proud when I get through it, I just have to stay motivated!

One more semester, ONE MORE LEFT! Lol* This fall I will be taking my last semester of pre-requisite's and I am going to apply for the nursing program! I cannot wait! The nursing program itself is 4 semesters long so assuming all goes well and I stay on course I'm almost 1/3 of the way there! The other day a friend and I were walking in through the health building, and there are glass walled rooms set up to look like a hospital in there. We saw meti-man and other simulators and students practicing, we both looked at each other and said, "I can't wait to do that!" Just a few short months and it'll be us.

Please keep your fingers crossed and send good thoughts my way! I'm really struggling these last few weeks to keep up with everything but the excitement of finally getting into the program is all that's keeping me going! ;)

4 comments:

Pat said...

I wish you the best and I think because your heart is so very much into this, you will do it and do it WELL.

Ruth said...

Good luck! I think I told you before that my DS (age 40) is doing the same thing. He has 2 more exams and is finished with his 2nd semester next week. Then he's taking 2 summer classes. After that, he hopes to get in the nursing program as soon as there is an opening - maybe not until January. Hang in there! It will surely be worth it.

Kathy said...

It will all be worth it!!!! You sound very dedicated and that's what it takes to succeed in nursing school.....remember to pamper yourself every once in awhile!! When I went back to school to become a nurse, it was pretty tough being a wife, a mother of three and trying to keep up with the demands of classwork. I have never regretted it and absolutely love being a nurse.....I look forward in hearing about your progess!! Kathy

Juryizstillout said...

Sorry it has taken me until now to get to see this post. I am very proud of all you have accomplished and hope we will be RN's together!