Sunday, April 18, 2010

One Plant at a Time


How do you like my bucket of tulips? Lol* I bought these rusted out old buckets at a yard sale yesterday. Hubby said to me, "What are you going to do with that junk?" I told him, "decorate!"


I'm getting closer to the garden of my dreams! Also learning the importance of strategically placed spring bloomers to awaken your garden this time of year. Last year I bought lots of plants that were finished blooming for the season in anticipation for this year's show. Like this creeping phlox that is just starting to bloom!


I need more of these...more, more, more! Lol* Some day I want one of those gardens that is just dripping with flowers...but on a smaller scale.


I am loving right now irises for their flowers and the interest of their foliage. They will be another of my focuses this year, adding them in clumps throughout the beds for that "awake" look that they give the garden this time of year.

Here are a few more things I was happy to see coming along on my walk this morning through the yard...lily of the valley emerging...


Mulch is actually waiting out front to be spread, something I didn't do last year. BIG MISTAKE. Lol* For me this did not work at all. I succeeded in getting tons of reseeders but more than that, the weeds were OUT OF CONTROL. It was embarrassing by fall how bad the weeds got. So this year, I'm getting back on the wood mulch bandwagon. Lol* I've also got to find a way to guard some of my plants because Hubby stacked mulch on top of my astilbe and bleeding hearts!


I have also had bad luck with hyacinths. I buy them every year and the bulbs rot out on me. This year I tried to bury the bulb well and hope for the best. Maybe the mulch will protect them this winter from rotting again.

Three more weeks left of school! Wooohoo! I have the urge to sew in the worst way. I haven't sewn a stitch since Christmas. Time is limited but I'm still a quilt junkie like no other! Lol*

7 comments:

Karen said...

The bucket for the tulips is oh such a good idea.

3anklebiters said...

love your bucket of tulips, great upcycle.

julieQ said...

I just love your garden...my iris's are blooming and just so pretty.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love the bucket.That's what I would tell my hubby too. lol
Love all your flowers. Lookin good. My Iris are starting to bloom too.

Jan said...

How lovely ,Imight have painted the bucket though ,what about the barge painting ,that bucket would be ideal ...love Jan xx

Kathleen said...

Love your bucket of tulips.... good idea. If I can find a bucket I'm going to steal it. The idea, not the bucket!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I love your bucket of tulips! :-) My husband thinks that kind of "decorating" is a little goofy but I love it! I have an old baby crib that I want to turn into a garden gate and he is just not going for it......yet! I'm not ready to give up on the idea. :-)
I think your hyacinths look like they'll be lovely.