Monday, June 29, 2009

My first Daylily


It's a bit scrappy looking, but isn't it gorgeous? My first daylily bloom...

Yarrow...I'm amazed how this has grown in the few short weeks since I planted it. It was a gift from my MIL, she knew I'd wanted some and bought me a few varieties, just very small plants.

Those poppies are really going to town now! I adore these...I bought two packs this year, and I think I'm going to buy five or six packs next year and fill in this whole patch...


Then there's the lone bachelor button. Lol* This is the only one I've found that came back from last year! I love that it pushed it's way through a thick patch of rudbeckia. I dug A LOT in the patch they were in last year, so I imagine I probably did them in if there were any seedlings from them this spring. I'm happy to see this even just this one. :)

I cannot wait to see how my garden fills in next year. I more than doubled it this year, so most of the plants are new. Here's a couple pictures from last year:



Here's this year:



The round circular patch to the top left of the picture is where I planted all those daffodils, but I dug them up and they are drying on the kitchen counter. I'm going to put them in groups throughout the garden instead of all together for next year. The round patch I'm going to fill with plants (I still have many waiting to be plunked!) and eventually, this year or next, extend it over to the tripod where the sweet peas are and make a little grass garden path.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Hi Valerie! Your daylily is really pretty! Your veggie garden looks great too! Your blog background is nice too...
:)

Stephanie D said...

That is an ambitious project, but I love the idea! I'm working on expanding my flower garden areas, too, but a little more slowly. I think I'm done for this season, though, because it's getting too hot to be digging and prepping and all.

I love those poppies! And what a lovely color of daylily!