Friday, May 1, 2015

Darlene's Feels Like Spring Quilt Finished!

I absolutely loved quilting this one!  It was so much fun thinking up different backgrounds for each of the appliqués.


The pattern is called "Feels Like Spring" by Smith Street Designs.  Darlene Gerber is the owner and top maker.


The quilt was quilted entirely with Bottom Line Thread by Superior Threads.  It is quickly becoming my go to thread for custom work.


We used a layer of Hobbs 80/20 batting layered with Hobbs Tuscany Wool on top to make the appliqué's pop.




Because of the intricate detail of the embroidery on the appliqué's there is actually NO quilting on the flowers themselves.  Luckily, there was so much detail around the small leaves and petals that I was able to squeeze in and still give a close tightly quilted feeling.   The use of double batting and a lofty wool on top helped to keep the unquilted areas very full against the densely quilted bordering designs.



This was such great fun to work on!  I'm going to guesstimate 50-60 hours quilting time with two weeks on the frame.  I moved a turtle's pace truly only finishing three or four blocks some days, only because of the wear on me with carrying baby Olivia.  :)  I think I would have moved much faster if I weren't big as a house!
I didn't start out intending on adding quite this much detail - but it was so fun and turning out so lovely I kept adding.  I think the finished quilt is fantastic!  I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to work on such a lovely quilt.

Now I am off until July but I will still be posting my own work.  I am looking forward to a few months off to enjoy baby and work on my own projects!

17 comments:

Frederique said...

Gorgeous, as usual! Very good idea to put extra batting, the embroideries really pop up and emphasize your beautiful quilting

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

WOW!!! Those appliques are already gorgeous, but the quilting makes them all pop even more. I love this.

Lara B. said...

You know how people use the work "Stunning" a lot? Valerie - it was never meant so purely until now! This is Stunning! What incredible artistry on both yours and Darlene's parts! Your quilting is unbelievably awesome... And to think that you did it all with a Baby on Board. The flowers look three dimensional - like you could reach right out and pick them.
I sure hope this is destined for a show!

jtquilts said...

You are right! Your work and the clients quilt are lovely and worth the 'more and more' quilting you added. Wishing you a restful time waiting for your child to be born!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

ohhhhh wow...you're giving me anxiety attacks!!! Lol
I adore your quilting so much!!!!!

Deb A said...

WOW! Your quilting on this is just amazing. What a lucky lady to enjoy that beautiful quilt. Enjoy the 'time off' although you will be plenty busy with a little one.

Patsy said...

You did such a nice job with this; love the wonderful texture your quilting has created! Good luck with your soon-to meet-the-world new addition!

Michele said...

Oh wow. This is destined to become another ribbon winner. Enjoy your break.

Julee said...

You do such beautiful work...

Barb Neiwert said...

Big smiles for you - great job! Loving your work.

Mom said...

Beautiful job!...don't know how you get close enough to quilt ;-)
I remember all too well how rotund I was at 8 months on #3!

Diane said...

This is incredibly lovely! The quilting is gorgeous on its own, but really enhances the applique. I'm making the bedrunner from this pattern - I think you've become my inspiration for when I'm ready to quilt!

Leeanne said...

STUNNING!!!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Love this quilt!!

Anonymous said...

I just found this quilt posted on FB (by Kathy Southern) from the Houston show. I'm so amazed with your quilting. You have an artist's eye and much skill, that's for sure. I'd love to think I could afford to have you quilt something for me someday, but I'm afraid your wonderful quilting will be more than I could afford. I just wanted to tell you how much I admire your work! Beth in KS

Unknown said...

What a stunning quilt - your quilting is wonderful - you were right not to quilt on the embroidered flowers - it is absolutely stunning.
Pauline
perry94022 at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning work!