Thursday, February 5, 2015

Do It Right...Or Do It Again. :)

This quilt has literally kept me up at night.  Mostly because it has a lot of sentimental meaning for me.  It also might have a little bit to do with the fact that I've barely left the house in three weeks because of the weather!  I'm obsessing a bit.  Hopefully it was for good reason.



Those green borders just drove me crazy.  When I started this quilt I had a vision in my mind of a blue and green quilt - I thought the green would come from the borders.  When I attached them it just kept going WRONG.  The more I added, the more I became frustrated, the worse my work was.  So I decided to just let them go - and start over.

The dahlia centerpiece I completed almost a year ago - and added the appliqué blue leafy fronds later. I spent quite a bit of time trying to make them as perfect as possible.  I see now that I have this up on the wall there is a wavy fullness in that bottom border from incorrect measurement.  I will rip it off today and correct it before going any further.

If I have learned anything over the years I have been quilting it is to overlook carefully - and do it right the first time, or STOP  and do it again.  :)

I think I've been struck with a name as well.  I am not too shy about the fact that I think naming quilts is terribly cheesy.  I just can't help it.  It's not my thing.  But to identify works of art sometimes I realize a name is necessary, so I am going to embrace the cheese this time around!  I'm naming this quilt - Impermanence - which has a real meaning to me and really expresses where I am in my life and with my artwork.

I feel like a weight has been lifted and now I can get to the fun part - the quilting.  :)

No comments: