Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Deanna's Quilt in Progress and Weight Loss Update

Making every attempt to finish up Deanna's quilt today so that I can begin work on Chris's quilt tomorrow.  I have four big quilts that I want to finish before school starts back up for the kids - Deanna's quilt, Chris's quilt, Bobbie's quilt, and Nancy/Barbara's giant show quilt.  It is a struggle trying to balance all things but I think I'm doing well!

Here's a progress photo of Deanna's quilt...


It's a fairly simple custom - feathers and stippling...but boy is it effective!  I'm looking forward to sharing the finished quilt.  :)  I am working on the white and pink first, quilting the entire quilt then going back and doing all the purple feathers.  I'm halfway through...I've got chicken in the crock pot and we'll be having something simple tonight so I can get to work!  :)

On the weight loss front, I'm coming along.  I've been consistently working out 5 days a week (though two of the five are just light activity/cardio) - weight training 3 days per week.  I upped my calories from 1400 to 1600-1700 per day and it's working still.  I'm consistently losing though not the 2-3 pounds per week the way it was melting off at first.  I think some of that was due to water weight, some was because I was restricting so much.  I'm losing about 1 lb. per week which is supposed to be healthy and effective for maintaining muscle and keeping my metabolism up.  Oh it's a little frustrating though I'm not going to lie!  But I do feel a lot better about what I'm doing.  I had several days where I would just break down from frustration and hunger...my body needed to eat!  :)  So while it's slower...I feel like I'm getting plenty of food and not missing out on what the family is eating at all...that makes a huge difference.  My total loss to date is 26 pounds (20 since I began really watching and working out in May) and I've lost 5 inches in my waist.  I've gone down a pant size and am almost ready to drop to the next pant size down.  I was eating super super clean and minimal processed foods...but I've kind of gone to a "if it stays in calorie range then it's fair game" attitude as I just don't think being too extreme with my diet is realistic for me in the long run.  It's probably healthier for me...but I don't know if I can maintain that kind of diet while everyone around me is having burgers and fries!  LOL!

But, frustrations and set backs aside....I'm losing!

I also have been making a few doll clothes for my middle daughter who recently got a new 18" doll...


Next I'm trying to find time to finish up some of these costumes I've been working on for Disney and I bought a bunch of really cute beads to make Frozen themed gumball necklaces for them.  LOL!  So many crafts to make so little time!!!  :)

Hope all of you out in blogland are having a great summer!

4 comments:

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilting and congrats on the weight loss! Slow and steady wins the race. I agree with you on making it work for you. Everything in moderation and portion size is the key. I just started a modified version of Atkins for two weeks with my hubby on Monday. I am cheating - I have to have real sugar in my coffee in the morning but other than that I will do the two weeks and then go back to 'normal'. My ring does not feel as tight on my hand so I am happy.

julieQ said...

Such glorious quilting!! YOu go girl...keep at it...one year from now you could be 52 pounds down...one pound a week!!

Lara B. said...

Valerie, your feathering is always so beautiful! And hang in there on your fitness program, you are doing great! I am impressed with your "stick-with-it-ness"! I put the quilt you quilted for me on the Quilting Board and people are loving the work you did! Thank you again for creating such a beautiful design!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Congratulations on your weight loss! Sounds like you're doing great. Today I tried making smoothies for my husband and I. We even had a bit of kale thrown in it. Not bad, it's a start. :-)