Saturday, April 5, 2014

Modern Quilt for Pat - Lines and Geometric Shapes

I have finally finished my quilting friend Pat's quilt for her son Chris.  I cannot even begin to tell you how "full circle" quilting this was for me.  Chris was a close friend of mine who I spent quite a lot of time with in the years right after highschool graduation.  As life does with so many, we were pulled in different directions as he focused on schooling and a career while I was newly married and beginning a family and a new life with my Husband.  I have always been the type to hold on to those old feelings of friendship and when I see an old friend after many years, I still feel I know them as well as I did the last time we spoke!  So, I remember to this day the wonderful times Chris and I and our group of friends spent together, and what a great person he was when we were young.

I never in a million years would have guessed 15 years ago that I would be passionate about quilting let alone running a long arm quilting business!  These days I see Pat monthly at the local quilt guild we both belong to - and it just seems to me to be such a funny twist of life - I never would have guessed!  :)  In any case, Pat is a fantastic quilter and I really felt special to be given the opportunity to quilt this very cool, very special modern quilt for her...and I suppose I'll stop gushing and mushing all over the place and share the pictures!


 
This is one layer of Hobbs 80/20 - Glide Thread in a deep chocolate brown color and yellow.






I think it just turned out really cool and textural!  I tend to be a traditional quilter who dabbles in modern quilting and art quilting...so this was just a ton of fun!  I think my eyes did start to go a little funny about 2/3 of the way through however...but I really do think the straight lines compliment the design.


I hope you are all getting some quilting done this weekend in blogland!  It is starting to warm up and behave like spring a little more in my neck of the woods - though I have been reading that some of you have been epxeriencing severe weather - so many prayers and be safe!

Happy Quilting!

- Valerie :)

4 comments:

Michele said...

It really turned out fabulous and I'm sure the memories made the quilting time even that more special. You should try modern quilting more often.

Kathy S. said...

Gorgeous quilting!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Gorgeous quilting!! Your work is stunning

creativecallings@gmail.com said...

I love it... The lines are what was needed with this beautiful quilt. I love all of your quilting!!