Tuesday, April 16, 2013

More Prim Crafting

Lots of crafting happening here.  I've been quilting like a mad woman so recently I've been craving some non-quilt related creativity.  Yesterday the Husband and I made our weekly trip to the local thrift shops.  If you read my blog you know that this is one of my absolute favorite things to do.  We didn't find much but what we did manage to find were great buys.

I have been looking high and low for a nice sturdy lazy susan.  I wanted something with good solid "bones" that I could refinish, and for weeks nothing fit the bill until yesterday.  This lazy susan is perfect!  I forgot to take a before picture but I did take some just after I sanded it down.  It has ball bearings so it spins just beautifully and smooth.  I still need to give it a sanding to age it and then seal the paint, but already it is looking pretty and prim!


Here's a shot of it just after sanding it.  I don't have an electric sander so I'm saving up.  This was a bit of a pain by hand but it did the job.  I found the applique stars at Lowe's for $3.49.  I paid $1.69 for the lazy susan so, so far I've got a grand total of $5.18 into it.  I had the black paint in the cupboard and I've got a can of polyurethane in the laundry room that hopefully is still good!


I just glued the stars on with wood glue.  I let them sit a couple hours to harden up before I painted it black, then put two coats on when I finally did paint it.


I am so happy with how this is turning out!!!  I don't know why I'm feeling so into prims when the days are longer and the daffodils are blooming.  Isn't that just the way it goes?

I really loved those grubby candles and made bunches more...I think I'm going to bundle these up and sell them at Christmas time.  Now that the kiddos are a little bigger we might be able to make it to some craft shows.



I even thought I'd try grubbing up some tea lights...didn't these turn out great??!


They are so pretty lit up - the lights flicker.  These are going to add such great atmosphere this fall and winter.


Oh, my other small but great thrift store find, this little cast iron piece.  It's marked something like "The Great Outdoors" or something like that so I'm sure that it's not old, but I just love these.  I'm still not sure if I'll clean it up for use or just hang it on the wall.  It's a great size for decorating.


I'll post some finished pictures of the lazy susan when I get it all set up.  For now there's a big thunderstorm banging and blowing outside...I think I'd better turn off the computer!  

Happy Tuesday Bloggers!  ;)

No comments: