Tuesday, September 6, 2011

3D Pinwheel Block Tutorial

Several of you have asked for a tutorial on the 3D pinwheels I used to make my youngest daughters baby quilt.  So here you go!  ;)


Step One:  Cut yourself 4 squares of each your focus fabric, and background fabric.  You can pick any size square you want, depending on how large you want your pinwheel.  I chose 3" squares - my finished block size will be 5" x 5".


Step Two:  Layer your squares right sides together, placing your focus fabric on top, like this...


Now fold the focus fabric down, like this.  Fingerpress with your thumb or thumbnail.


Now fold again, like this...again use your thumbnail to fingerpress.


Pin in place.  :)


Do this with all four layered squares.  Arrange into a pinwheel to prepare for sewing.  :)


Step 3:  Now take the top two squares...or the bottom two, doesn't matter...



Line up the edges to be stitched, being careful not to lose the point of your pinwheel in the process!  It may help to place an extra pin on that loose piece there...

Pin...


Sew!


Now you should have something that looks like this...


I like to press my seams open for this block...it gets VERY bulky.


Here's a picture of what NOT to do.  I got a little excited and didn't match up myseams well.  Now if I were to sew this there's a pretty good chance I'll sew the point of my pinwheel off.  If you look at the quilt top I made, I may or may not have done this a few times.  LOL*  *blush*  I'm not going to admit it if I did.  ;)


Now repeat for the remaining two pieces...and layer right sides together again to finish the block, taking care to match up that inner seam.


Sew and press.  For the completed block i like to spray a little water or Best Press back there when I press to help it stay open and reduce bulk.


Turn it over, and, TA-DA!  A perfectly cute little 3D pinwheel block!

18 comments:

julieQ said...

Oh, I like that so much! Now you temptress...I was just thinking I have too many projects in the works...but I think I must do one of these quilts too!

Anonymous said...

Great tut and pics! This really helps us just getting back into the groove of things!

Have a great day :>)

BrianG said...

Love it! This is getting added to my list of quilts to make. Thanks for sharing.

Leila said...

That last comment was me. I hate it when my husband is signed into google. How dare he?!? :)

3anklebiters said...

wonder tutorial!

Kimberly said...

sa-weet... you one smart lady!

Anne Ida said...

Oh, this is fabulous! I'm saving this tutorial - gotta try this someday! Thank you so much for sharing!

moosews2587@msn.com said...

very clear directions--my granddaughter wants to do these--i am interested in your halloween runner at the top of your blog.

Mary said...

I saw a quilt with these at a quilt shop in Bountiful Utah last Spring. Didn't buy the pattern. Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern. I saw this 3D pinwheel quilt in a store a long time ago and never brought the pattern. Thank you. I am going to make the quilt; however, once I get the blocks together, how do I quilt it?

Anonymous said...

Love it - Love it - Love it! Thanks so much for posting the directions. I DO have one question tho. When you fold the "blade" diagnally, I notice that the edge of the top piece is aligned up with the backing piece. Bur, when it is complete, there is 1/2 inch space to attach to the next completed block. How did you get the 1/2 inch space?/ Is my question clear as mud?? Thanks - Nancy

Anonymous said...

Nancy, it's quilters magic LOL
really it "shrinks" a little because of the side seam. you are sewing 4 blocks together so they each have 2 seams. Still muddy ??
I sure hope not. anyway you can pin your seams along the sewing line before you sew to make sure they line up correctly. Hugs Abby in Fla

Mary said...

What a cool method for a pinwheel! I found your blog through a link posted on Facebook in the Just Us Quilters group! Thanks for your very clear instructions.
Mary aka www.stitchinggrandma.wordpress.com

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Just wanted you to know that you're still getting visitors that love the pattern as well as the way you present your tutorials. Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial. Just about to use it to make a cushion for my mum's 81st birthday because she loves pinwheels.

Unknown said...

I love this block!

Kim W. said...

This is wonderful. I saw a quilt similar to this at a craft show. It looked very complicated, but you broke it down to simple. Thanks so much for sharing. God bless!

Auntiepatch said...

Love this block! Thanks!