Saturday, January 8, 2011

Woohee!! Almost done!!!

I was a very artsy kid growing up, I always thought I would go to art school and make a career of it. I remember as a kid doing a lot of sketching, and I used to love to show my parents all the progress I'd make on my drawings. My Dad used to say to me, "are you going to show me every line as you draw it?"

Now I'm all grown up and I have my very own little blog to talk about quilts until my hearts content...so the answer Dad? Yes. Yes I am. I am going to show you every stitch as I stitch it. I'm going to enjoy every moment of it too!!!

Here is my aqua compass that is looking less and less like a compass to me...but lookee there, we have a center!!! I decided after a few mishaps and many four letter words that I would just applique with fusible web that darn inner star...and you know what? I'm so happy I did. It may be not be a tribute to immaculate piecing but it looks half way decent and at this point that's all I'm concerned with.

What is it that they say? If it cannot be spotted by a man passing by on a galloping horse...let it be. Sounds like a good plan to me. ;)

Here is what I've finally decided is my goal in finishing this quilt. I had all sorts of plans and I played for HOURS in EQ with this design, and I'm thinking at the end of the day, less is more. I picked up some more purple fabric for the solid purple border which is going into the wash here in a few minutes, and then I'll get working on the geese. I'm not sure if I have enough auqua scraps but I was delighted to see that Jo Anns just got in a few new auqua batiks! Woohee!!! Looks like I have an excuse to do more shopping...

Here are a few fun progress pictures. I used that trapunto technique I learned from Patsy Thompson to make my little star pop. It looks kind of pretty from the back too doesn't it?

This was before I trimmed away the excess batting...

The circle isn't quite perfect so I decided just to trapunto the star. I don't really want to draw any more attention to that wonky pink circle!!!

Even with just a little invisible stitching to keep the diamonds down, it's starting to look pretty isn't it?

I'm so happy with this even if it's less than perfect. I am so excited just seeing that center in place that I cannot wait to finish this project. Yay!

8 comments:

Pat said...

I think it looks SO pretty already!

Zlaty said...

Very pretty! Well done! :)

Stephanie D said...

It's beautiful! I haven't done any trapunto before. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Lise said...

wow that's so awesome.... and yes..show every stitch..this is amazing... woohooo..... thank you for sharing...

Gina said...

It looks fabulous

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful and I love the colors! Can't wait to see the whole thing finished!

Fabricmom said...

Wow that is just stunning. Great job. Can't wait to see the finished project.

UKMUMINUSA said...

Very beautiful and very striking, love the colours that you used.