Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It seems I've traded my quilts for...

note cards.
This is how I spend my evenings! UGH!!! Just got my first test grade for anatomy. I studied for hours, HOURS! I'm not doing terrible, I got a 76% C on my lecture test and 98% A on my lab test so combined I got an 87% B. This class is BRUTAL! Lol* Lots of "all of the above", "none of the above", "A and C only", or "A and D only" questions. Believe it or not that mediocre grade has me at the eighth highest grade in the class out of 200 students. Is that crazy or what? I literally cried when I saw that C though...I studied SO hard and really thought I'd gotten at least a B! That is so disappointing. But I'm happy I'm passing with a decent grade as the average grade in the class is I think 64% or 67% D.

Edited to add on 02-17-10: During lecture the professor gave us the exact stats - average grade for the class at this moment is a 62% . He said we did better than classes in the past have on the first exam. WOW! Feeling way better about my 87% average now! :)

Anatomy is still my favorite class even though it's insanely difficult. Chemistry is a struggle, mostly because the math is a challenge for me, but I'm pulling through. I have been fortunate enough to get a few breaks on some of my mistakes so just trying to keep it up.

I have barely had a spare moment as my classes are SO intense this semester. I did so well last term that it's just incredibly tough to see all these C's and B's on quizzes and tests, but I know the classes are progressively getting more difficult to start weeding students out. It's a good thing, but not necessarily a fun thing to endure. Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement, I sure need it! Hopefully I make it out of nursing school in one piece. :)

8 comments:

Lise said...

Way to go Valerie,,, wow ,,, you did awesome.. keep up the great work and 8th is a great place to be out of 200 woot woooo...

Pat said...

You can be proud of being 8th out of 200....and as you get more of the courses under your belt, they will provide a foundation that will make you get stronger at understanding your career field. Your determination and dedication will carry you far, too!

paulette said...

Hey you are 8th out of 200!! Celebrate!! Way to go!! I don't know WHY they make it so difficult!! I know you want a nurse to know her stuff but a lot of times you can't test what makes a good nurse...empathy, kindness, compassion..to name just a few!! Hang in there...you are doing awesome!!
Paulette

Jan said...

Dont be so hard on yourself ,you are doing really well ,we are so proud of you ,,it cant be easy with a family and all the other distractions ,clever girl go for it ....love Jan xx

Beth said...

Hey, you are my hero! You're doing awesome...don't ever doubt it!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow- you are taking tough courses like chemistry and anatomy at the same time. It doesn't make sense to me that some professors make their classes so tough that they are pretty much humanly impossible to do well in. We are all pulling for you.

Zannah said...

I love seeing how well you're doing - it's really inspirational!!

quiltingnana said...

you go girl...going to school is rough but worth it. I went back to school at 35 for my masters...was older than some of my profs! Made it through but it was scary