Wednesday, January 28, 2009

4-patch Posey

A woman from our guild showed us how to make this quilt a few months ago...I wasn't crazy about the fabric I'd initially chosen for this project, then I realized I had this sunflower fabric in my stash. I actually pulled it out to make something else, and then it dawned on me that it'd be perfect to experiment the 4-patch posey with. I thought the blocks turned out pretty cool for my first shot at it! :) Here's the fabric I started with...



What you do, is hunt through the fabric and find the repeat - which seems to be tough with some fabrics. For this one there was a lot of space between the flowers, so I was able to find the starts and stops pretty easily. You cut four strips of the print repeat, then stack them matching it all up, and cut the stack into 4 patch squares - each square you cut will have four of the same sections of the repeat, so you can twist and turn the pieces to make a whole new pattern from the print. Isn't that awesome?
I hear people talk sometimes about stack & whack quilts - and I'm wondering if that's another name for this kind of project or if a stack & whack would be something similar but different? Anyone idea?

9 comments:

rachel griffith said...

oh how fun!!!


i JUST now read your little note on this here comment form.
it's so true!!!
made me giggle.
:D

Pat said...

I just LOVE how that sunflower fabric lends itself to that technique. I'm going to have to look for some fabric that would work for that. LOVE it....show us how it looks when you are done with the project,okay?

Anonymous said...

The sunflower fabric was perfect for this technique!

Anonymous said...

Hey Valerie... great fabric to try the 4 patch posey with! Joyce will be proud of what you show!!!

Holly in Ashtabula

Teresa said...

Yep - that is stack and whack. I took a workshop in the exact pattern you are using and it was called Four Patch Swirl. My fabric was Christmas ornaments and it was a lot of fun. I have some pictures posted in some older posts my blog. You are doing great!

Bob and Diana said...

That is really neat the way you make the pattern form sort of a Kaleidescope image. I can imagine what a whole quilt would look like done that way. --Dad

Sheila said...

This is very pretty! I would not have thought fabric with that big of blank space would work, but you made it do so. I think your "something but different" comment is right on. I think of stack-n-whack as triangle shapes to make a hexagon (I have one in progress and will try to remember to post it) or 9-degree ruler cuts to make whatever shape that is. Yours is squares doing the same thing--and rather nicely. Sheila, near Columbus

jill said...

hi what size did you cut the strips?
Jill e.acostas@verizon.net

Thriftyideastoday said...

What a clever idea. i will have to see if i can find a good repeat pattern and give this a try. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com