Friday, December 6, 2013

Plugging Away...

Eeeep!  The reality that I am on a deadline is starting to freak me out a little.  I keep reminding myself that this is my HOBBY and while I have goals, I am not going to kill myself trying to meet them.  (Right?!  I'm not sure if I'm sharing or trying to convince myself!  LOL)

Here is a closeup of the overlay applique I created for the crocheted lace...





Here is where I'm at...and I know it's not terribly spectacular laid out flat and boring like that above but I need a really boring shot so I can plan out the quilting.  Today I'm going to add a little more personality and do something fun with those borders.  I'm thinking sort of a curving scallop edge like my recent whole cloth design.  I've begun designing the quilting plan...OH MY GAWSH I can't wait.  I'm toying with the idea of shading in the quilting with my Shiva Paintstiks.  I'm going to have to do a sample first as there is SO much handwork in this that I might cry if I decide I hate the paint AFTER painting this!  LOL  I really love how the applique overlays look over the crocheted lace.

Oh - and guess what?  MY JUKI COMES TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's seriously going to kill me not to open it.  :)  :)  :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I expect a post with a box photo......soon!!!!! LOL! Your lace project is coming along nicely and, yes, I can totally relate to such "self talk"!!!!! But.....it's not a "hobby" for you and I (and many others!) it's a passion/obsession!!!! I'm with ya, Girl!!!!! Hugs.......

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Did you make the lace or is it vintage? Lovely applique and delicate colors. Love it.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I just had the same "This is my hobby" conversation with myself!! LOL!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is coming along nicely and a scallop edge will accent the other curves and lines in the design. I'm waiting on a box too. Hobby?? for me it is a business - you get tax write offs with a business but not a hobby.

Sewing Junkie said...

Whether business or hobby enjoy what you are doing. Really looks great. Idea take it for what it is worth. What about a swag applique with feathers and your colored details. Even if the swag fabric is just a shade different with color and stitching it would pop. Just an idea. Chris

Regina B Dunn said...

Looks good so far. I love Shiva paintstiks. They are my favorite embellishment tool.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

There is a fine line between hobby and profession. I like to think of what I do as an avocation. I like to think of deadlines as motivators with the caveat that if I miss the deadline than I can always enter the work in another exhibit or give a picture of the gift (soon to come) in a card.