Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like...Spring!

Boy is it beginning to feel like Spring! Things are really starting to take action in the garden. This is my third year actively gardening, and boy is it exciting! I feel like my little garden is really starting to look like, a garden. I can't wait to see what it will be like in 10 years!

Here's some of what is emerging now...

Sweet Peas...my first time growing them. I'm kind of amazed they could go out so early and even with the unpredictable weather this time of year they are growing. I am so excited to see what these babies do. :)

Daffodils have lots of buds and a handful have begun to bloom. We watered this guy yesterday so he's a little muddy, but gorgeous none the less. He's almost opened up! :) I bought nearly 100 of these bulbs last year at a yard sale and so I had no idea what kind of daffodils I would get. I'm so happy to see that some are this delicate pastel yellow - my true favorites.
Here's rudbeckia from last year, looking a little shaggy. Hopefully it'll look pretty once it gets going...

Asiatic lilies working their way up...

Phlox beginning to emerge...my favorite!

Here are some daisies I've winter sown in a pop bottle - I think they win the award for easiest thing to grow of all that I attempted this year. Those suckers just keep germinating, and seem to tolerate any kind of weather.

Echinacea winter sown babies in a lasagna flat, and I'm impressed to see they are beginning to grow their true leaves...woohoo!
Las but not least hyacinths. I dug mine up from last year to replant, but didn't clean them off well enough and they got moldy and one of them was eaten from the inside out by some kind of bugs. Yuck. So these guys are new this year. Potted them up and I think there they will stay for a few years! :)
Here's a little list of what's sprouted so far of my winter sown/spring sown seeds:
echinacea
rudbeckia
aubrieta
shasta daisies
painted daisies
phlox
canterbury bells
snapdragons
multicolor hollyhocks
black/deep purple hollyhocks
bachelor buttons
zinnia
calendula
sunflowers
pumpkins
larkspur
delphinium
foxgloves
The only thing that hasn't woken up are some zinnias and impatiens I put out by mistake incredibly too early. Also the pansies haven't germinated, or the pack of lavendar that was packaged for the 2007 growing season have yet to germinate.
I forgot to put out the convolvulus and the portulaca! Lol*

1 comment:

QuiltedSimple said...

Wow - you've got lots of stuff coming up! Not warm enough here yet for anything...
Kris