Friday, June 27, 2008

Fabric Shopping

**Just a warning for those who skim, I've got no progress to show, I'm only posting to gush about fabric, show of my purchases, and blab about my pup. Sorry! I'll try to post actual progress pictures next time around! :)


I started babysitting last October, to earn some extra fabric money. Well, you know how life goes, and of course, I hadn't really had a chance to use any of that money earned for fabric! Something else more important just always seems to come up. So this time, I thought, I'm going to just go have fun! So, I did...



My Mother and I took a drive to Jo-Anne's Etc. and stopped at a nearby quilt shop. I bought 9 half yard cuts of fabric from the Kansas Troubles Quilters line Garden Inspirations, a few civil war fat quarters, and two yards of a beautiful bright red fabric, with linen white butterflies and white roses all over it that I thought would be a great border for a redwork quilt.

*Edited to Add: Just a note regarding my interest in fabric quality - after looking through the selvages of my newly purchased fabric, I found Alexander Henry and Windham Fabrics were among the batch I'd purchased. I specifically looked for fabric that looked familiar, or felt like the quality that I find at quilt shops. (You all know the general rule, right? To avoid see through fabric?) I read today on Fabrics.net that sometimes you can find last years (or older) "designer" fabrics at chain stores, and also "second" prints. Great news for those of us who love designer fabric, but are on a budget! :)


Notions/supply wise I finally picked up a bottle of Mary Ellen's best press, something I've just heard raves about. I also bought a Quilt in a Day flying geese ruler. I'd seen it when Pat Knoechel visted the guild last month, and thought to myself, "hey, I need that!" Oh happy day! What fun we had shopping!

One last picture, for fun. This is my third child, lol*, Yogi...he's growing up to be big and chunky! Lol* He's my little cutie toot!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Love Yogi, he's so cute.

love and hugs xxx

Anne Ida said...

You certainly did some great shopping! Fabrics look wonderful - look forward to seeing what you use them for! And I love those flying geese rulers! I use mine quite a lot!

Yogi is just adorable!! :o)

Take care and have a great weekend!
Hugs...

Bob and Diana said...

This is a comment from your mother even though it appears under your dad's name.

Ma says: Yes, indeed it was a very nice day of shopping. And I'm excited with our purchases too. The hard part is doing the washing after you get home to get your fabric ready for sewing. But I bit the bullet and did it. The best part was having the time, as much as we needed and wanted to check it all out. It was a wonderful day we spent together!!!

Love ya, Ma

dot said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I did not know that about fabrics. Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing what becomes of this fabric.